1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning XFile Season One-Disc One

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maxaraxa, Feb 23, 2005.

1. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Well I tried doing it Scuba's way and it didn't work. I deleted the rip I initially did and re-ripped using ISO-read and that was fine. When I went to shrink, I unchecked all the foreign audio and left everything alone. I put shrink on the Automatic compression. When I went to encode (I do shut down everything that I can and close off internet, the only thing I wasn't able to get rid of on the task bar was that stupid XP updater thing)it took forever which I have not experienced before. When it went to burn, it stopped and gave i/o errors, check redundancy, something about a sector not being able to be read...I tried to copy the log but computer crashed...so, I am going to try the 2 on each disc thing and do it using the file mode....and see how that goes. The discs that I am using are Maxell DVD+R's and they are identified as being Hitachi Maxell...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Max,

Let's go over things - there is no reason why you have to strip your DVD down to back it up.

Hey there Buddy, let's look at your attempt shall we ?

Good !

You did that well ~

That should be fine -
    What I do is use "custom", maximum compression on extras, menus and unreferenced materials (if any are there) leaving the Main titles to "automatic" compression.

I'm not sure what you're referring to - taskbar updater - if it's something that you'r running then shut it off in Task Manager. Anything that you don't need you can turn off there.

If you adjust DVDD properly you wouldn't get any read errors - Let's take a second and "fine-tune" DVDD. You'll find the directions under "Hard to Rip DVD's" in my sig.

No worries, What I need to know is what type of a PC are you working with - What are your specs ?

Probably why your PC crashed - seeing this, you need to reset your DVD target size to "custom" 4300MB in, DVD Shrink - edit - preferences - general tab. The reason ? The discs you're using are of extremely poor quality and probably have little OR un-even dye applied to the outside edge of the disc. We can probably use these dioscs but you'll do a 1,000X better iffin you get some decent discs. Check around - there are some dynamite deals on Verbatim discs about now and they work super -

I honestly don't see that as a cure UNLESS from now on you're going to rip all DVD's to 2 discs also. The only reason we were doing this disc in the ISO mode is because too many times when backing up an episodel disc you lose things when doing it in the file mode.. Got a question Max, Why do you backup a good DVD movie to a single disc but not the same size episode disc ? Yea, me too, it's got me lost . . . I'll ask BB -

Hey bbmayo, Perhaps I am confused - do you suggest cutting a DVD movie in 2 because it's 7.47GB as many DVD's are ? Perhaps you would like to write an original guide to reflect that thinking ~
    Take a moment out and explain it to me will you ? Perhaps I need to update myself ~

"P"

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well pete the only reason I would cut the episode disk down is because all 4 episodes are actually the full 7GB or so and that is with no extras or nothing. You see the total time of each episode is normally around 45min so 45 x 4 = 180min wich is around 3 hours. So as you can see it will end up with a lot of compression. More than your average movie that you can remove extras and stuff, but on the episodes there ushually isnt much to remove anyway so you are actually shrinking the whole DVD which makes it around 50% compression and to be frank that isn't going to produce a very good copy and will have problems playing on a lot of players. I will always be a big fan of as little compression as possible and with blank DVD's being so cheap you arent really losing nothing by seperating the episodes, but you do lose a lot when trying to put that much data on one DVD. I am not saying you can't put the whole DVD on one disk because you and I know we can. I just in good concious can't tell someone to do it that way when I have tried both and the difference is very noticable. For instance I burnt all 4 episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer into one disk and it wouldnt even play on two of my DVD players. Now it did play fine on my other 3, but that just shows the compression hurts. I did the same disk but this time only put 2 episodes on one disk and 2 on another achieving 1:1 copy of the episodes and they played perfectly on everything. I just dont like that much compression on any DVD, and if you have to compress I would look at using CCE or DVDCopy3 instead of Shrink those two proggys will do a much better job at compressing. Now it is like I said DVD's don't cost to much so it couldn't hurt to try backing up the whole disk and see how they work. I was just giving the example of how I do it there are of course other ways and some people just have better luck with different ways, but I truly believe no one will have any problems if they stick with the rule of little to no compression... :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

BB little Buddy,

·
    ·
    · I didn't see anything about compression reflected there - What I did see is standalone compatibility. I know you're not suggesting that anytime a DVD doesn't play on a player it's a compression issue. If that were so, then I have several 3.45GB DVD's that won't play on my Panasonic standalone.
    ·
    ·
    ·
    · I cannot argue with personal taste as I, on the other hand do not have a HDTV or Plasma set. Though on my 20", 30" and my 65" I can see no difference when backing up a DVD. Speaking of which - I am currently backing up "Ray" (Ray Charles). Stripped of it's extras, trailers, etc it weighs in at 7.33GB and though it may sound abhorrent to you - I am backing it up to a single DVD. Backing movies up in only a 1:1 manner isn't something I've done for quite some time (unless the movie was a smaller size of course). I shall remember that it is your policy to split all DVD's that require, - what shall we say ? More than 10% compression or is that still too much for you ? If we round it up it – that would come to (using our DVD Shrink DVD Target size of 4360MB) let's say 5GB ? That's a bit over that 10% - So anything over 5GB should be split between 2 discs ?
    ·
    · I just threw that 10% out there - Please let me know the correct figure that you like working with –
    I don't wish to have this appear that we're arguing, I'm just trying to grasp your reasoning and I'm sure you would like to understood and not be mis-quoted. - I've just seen very few pple coming through here that wish to split their DVD's.

Pete

5. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

In XP there is an icon on the taskbar which is a windows automatic updater. I tried using "End Task" but it did not show up there and I click cancel but the little bugger wouldn't go away.

I have a 60GB HDD, 1.7 GHZ processor, 780 MB Ram using Windows XP.

I was led to believe that these were good discs, that if the dvd identifier showed the manufacturer as Hitachi or Taiyo Yuden or Ritek, then they were good discs, am I wrong? I made sure it said MADE IN JAPAN before I bought them.

I have read your Hard To Rip DVD's and will to do it that way. I naturally would prefer to copy disc to disc but I do not want to lose quality. I am a big XFile nut and this would probably be the only series that I would do. I have not had any problems burning reg. movies using BB's way, the episodes were just a little more tricky, wasn't sure with all the files...plus the fact that the main movie could also be director junk....

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Max,

You have 2 out of 3 right-on.

Taiyo Yuden or Ritek are indeed good quality discs for the most part, new info has been released today which bears me looking into BUT we'll stand by those 2 - The discs made by Hitachi are ones with which I have issues. Mitsubishi on the other hand is a manufacturer I would include with the TY's and the Ritek as ones to get -
    I know it seems confusing - it's confusing to the industry too. The government is even looking into some sort of standardization so at least you and I aren't alone :)
    I too am a big Files Nut - I haven't missed an episode - I'm waiting for the movie to be released as a DVD.
    As far as episodel DVD backups, I do quite a few of them:
    Wonder Woman, SHAZAM, The Shield, The Token (excellent one, you have GOT to get that one), The Soprano's (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), The Wire (season 1 & 2), Lost in Space (Season 1, 2), The Six Million Dollar Man, MASH Season (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) and Sex in the City, season 1.
    Yep, that's about it – Anyway, a decent disc will make all the difference – Pickup some Sony's, Verbatim's (great sales going on at Best Buy and Comp USA).

When I said t look at the "Hard to Rip" section – I meant to use the DVDD settings there for your DVDD – you then won't have reading or verify errors – In all the episodel DVD's I've done – they have come out great –

Cheers,

Pete

7. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

ok, well I guess I am stuck with these Maxells as they are buy 1 get 1 free, 50 pak...ok, I am burning as we speak. I set the dvdd using your settings in the Hard to rip section, when I opened shrink I set the size to 4364 and when I went to browse location, I clicked on VIDEO_TS and it found the rip, I noticed there was an ISO file and MDS file in there, I didn't highlight either one, just said "OK" and shrink pulled over the ISO image. I set shrink to max sharpness and it is encoding right now. As I watch the preview it looks slow....it almost looks like its in slow mo...is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yes, it does take time :(

I thought I told you to adjust your DVD Target size to "Custom" 4300MB - Yep, I just looked and it's there - by using 4364MB as BB suggested you're burning to the edge of the disc where the dye app is poor to non-existent.

If this disc makes it, make sure you make that correction for the next one. This is the area where you'll get a coaster.

When you try to burn some place where there isn't any dye OR where it's uneven and when your PC can't write, it will just up and quite on you.

This evening, while I've been chatting with you, I just finished disc 3, 4 and 5 of The Wire, Season 2. Disc 3 was 7.94GB and Disc 4 was 7.84GB and Disc 5 is 7.04GB.

Average time for disc 3 and 4 is about 3 hours (time running on the disc) and the last one I haven't gotten the time on yet.

As far as the time it takes - it's your processor and your RAM that's slowing you down. Quality takes time. I've told you how to do this and have it come out good - you have to give it time.

The issue I have at the moment is - you're working on your PC while you should be letting it work for you.

I run a 2.84Ghz, Pent 4 with 1024MB of RAM and I only type inbetween disc changes. You must learn to do the same OR don't complain when your PC complains (quites)

Cheers,

Pete

9. WyldM5

WyldM5 Member

Scuba I think in this instance what bb is trying to say is that with the price of even quality DVD's being so cheap it is better to simply split EPISODIC DVD's such as the Simpson,X-Files and any number of TV series type DVD's. Also because the source material for many of these DVD's are already poor compressing them has an adverse effect. I personally burn 3 episodes onto a disk making for compression in the mid 80%.

In my personal experience compressing the video to below 70% starts to have a very adverse effect, at least with Shrink. Then again my TV can display 480P and 1080i so the degredation looks worse. It's sort of like how you notice that the HDTV sets in stores that show HDTV content look so beautiful but the other HDTV sets showing regular TV signal look so bad and even worse than the regular TV sets.

WyldM5

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Pete, buddy :)
    Us argue?? Never
    I appreciate all your findings. I am just not so good a expressing myself on here, but WyldM5 did a pretty good job of it. I do believe however that the compression did effect the play back on some of my players because if I split the same episode disk down 3 episodes on a disk they play perfectly fine. I also backed up Ray onto one disk with around 87% in Shrink I can live with that. I don't really have a set ratio I use but I guess if I get a movie in the mid 70% or below I would split it like the movie Troy for instance. I dont like to split a movie if I don't have to, but I see no reason why not put the episode disk on more DVD's with no compression it's not like you are spliting a movie in two or anything they are just episodes and you dont really hurt anything doing it that way. I really only have a few (very few) movies that I split on two disk's, but again on the episode disks why not?

Take care Pete :)
    PS by the way I didnt end up having to go to Iraq after all, and I get to retire in March!!! :)

11. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

I am so glad BB!!!

Oops, forgot to change that

Geez and I thought I had some good specs there...I was writing to you on another puter while I was ripping, encoding....

Well here is the latest log from my last attempt...could be that because I didn't set it to 4300...don't know...I think I am going to do the 3 per disc thing....
    I 02:50:07 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.2.0 started!
    I 02:50:07 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    I 02:50:07 Initialising SPTI...
    I 02:50:07 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 02:50:07 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW!
    I 02:50:08 Operation Started!
    I 02:50:08 Source File: C:\DVD RIPS\XFDISC1.ISO
    I 02:50:08 Source File Sectors: 2,234,661 (MODE1/2048)
    I 02:50:08 Source File Size: 4,576,585,728 bytes
    I 02:50:08 Destination Device: [1:1:0] LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S FS05 (E:) (ATA)
    I 02:50:08 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MAXELL-002-00) (Speeds: 2.4x)
    I 02:50:08 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
    I 02:50:08 Write Mode: DVD
    I 02:50:08 Write Speed: 4x
    I 02:50:08 Test Mode: No
    I 02:50:08 BURN-Proof: Enabled
    I 02:50:08 Filling Buffer...
    I 02:50:10 Writing LeadIn...
    I 02:50:23 Writing Image...
    I 03:13:48 Synchronising Cache...
    I 03:13:49 Closing Track...
    I 03:13:53 Finalising Disc...
    I 03:14:18 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:24:09
    I 03:14:18 Average Write Rate: 3,183 KB/s (2.3x) - Maximum Write Rate: 3,301 KB/s (2.4x)
    I 03:14:18 Cycling Tray before Verify...
    W 03:14:29 Waiting for device to become ready...
    I 03:14:37 Device ready!
    I 03:14:37 Operation Started!
    I 03:14:37 Source Device: [1:1:0] LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S FS05 (E:) (ATA)
    I 03:14:37 Source Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MAXELL-002-00) (Speeds: 2.4x)
    I 03:14:37 Verifying Sectors...
    E 07:13:05 Failed to read Sector 2234656 - Unrecovered Read Error
    E 07:13:05 Failed to Verify Sectors!
    E 07:13:05 Operation Failed! - Duration: 03:58:28
    I 07:13:05 Average Verify Rate: 312 KB/s (0.2x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 8,105 KB/s (5.9x)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2005
  12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Pete...

Whats wrong with target size being 4364MB ???
    Is there really that much difference in 64MB?
    I do tell them to put it on 4364 which is already less than the standard 4464MB.. I guess I'm just wondering he shouldnt be burning to the edge of the disk at 4364MB or is he???

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

maxaraxa,
    What are you asking about your last post and log?
    It looks like everything worked fine?

14. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

BB~Did you read the last section of the log? Here is what it said:

E 07:13:05 Failed to read Sector 2234656 - Unrecovered Read Error
    E 07:13:05 Failed to Verify Sectors!
    E 07:13:05 Operation Failed! - Duration: 03:58:28

I am trying it right now with 4300 and I did it in file mode this time and I unchecked "verify"this will be my last attempt at total disc backup...

sorry to cause such a dispute, not my intention, but I appreciate all of your help! I know I will get there eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2005
  15. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

I also have another thought on this...I do have a DRU-700A Double Layer writer. I was thinking that I could hook this up and burn the whole disc without having the issues which I am having now. I have read somewhere that this writer has issues with the audio not coming over in sync with the video something about it pulling it through the sound card..have you heard anything about this...also which discs would I buy that would be a good dl disc? Let me know what you think about this, do you use a dual layer writer?

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK either you edited and stuck that last part in there or I am blind? :) LOL

OK it looks like it burned the disk but couldnt verify? Is this true? If so does the disk play at all? This could be the compression issue I was trying to explain earlier and is why I reccomend when doing episode disk's to split the episodes up. It also looks like it failed to read the sectors more towards the end of the disk sector 2,234,656 out of 2,295,104 is where it ran into problems so moving the taget size down a bit could help...

17. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

Lol~sorry to say maybe going blind??My standalone has played all the other discs I have burned but it didn't like this one...it said "incorrect disc..err" Any thoughts on the DRU-700A...I can't believe how much the dl discs are! Do you use a dual layer writer?

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have a Dual Layer burner and have copied a few in that format, but for the price of the media it really isnt worth it right now. I Don't know much about that drive (DRU 700A) Have you tried a search on here for it? I do know that a lot of people have problems with the external burners all together when it comes to backing up DVD's...

OK I'm blind :) but I will still say you edited it so I don't look stupid OK?? shhhhh don't tell no one.. LOL

19. maxaraxa

maxaraxa Guest

No I haven't searched it here but I will check it out. My goodness, shrink is still encoding the disc, and it is only 44% done...I am just curious now to see if dropping it to 4300 will make the difference since I am stuck with these maxell discs, it will interesting to see. As far as you looking stupid, "NOT"..you and scuba have helped so many people on here and you read a gajillion posts so if you miss a line or two in a thread it is understandable. I will let you know how this latest burn goes...keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed LOL.

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

How much compression did you end up with in Shrink?