1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt DVD R Movies Keep freezing on my DVD player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by goofex, Mar 27, 2005.

1. goofex

goofex Member

Hi,

I just bought a new sony 720a dvd burner and everything I burn work's for about 2 or 3 minutes and freezes when played on my dvd player. They work fine when I play them back on my computer. I've read some forum's here and found out that it maybe because my DMA is off.(Which I have no idea what that is) I use the nero infotool to check if the DMA is turned on, but it's off. I really need some help here.

by the way, I have a intel p4 3.0ghz lga 775, as stated before a sony dvd burner(720a). I want to try using dvd shrink with nero as suggested here, but I don't want to waste any more of my dvd empty's. Those things add up after a while. Any kind of help would be appreciated.

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Go into Device manager and find IDE controllers. Choose the one that your burner is on. Under advanced settings, check DMA if availble, for burner as well as all other devices on that IDE channel. Then remove that IDE controller by going back to Device Manager, right click the appropriate controller, and choose "disable". Reboot and Windows will "find new hardware", enabling the IDE channel both primary and secondary controllers, with DMA enabled.
    Use quality media (not budget) and burn movies at no more than 4X, no matter how fast the disks or the burner may be rated.

3. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Since it hangs with your DVD player it could indicate an incompatabile disc/player combination. Some players (older ones) are not overly fond of +r's. Just a thought that you may want to check to see if that could be your problem.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK first off this has absolutly nothing to do with your DMA settings at all.

Then we need a little more info...
    What Brand of blank DVD media are you using?
    What is the make/model of your DVD player?
    What programs are you using to back up your DVD's?
    Do you put label's on your DVD's?

Again your DVD's not playing in your stand alone DVD player has absolutly nothing to do with your DMA settings.

5. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

Sometimes the solution is as simple as cleaning your DVD player lens. Even if you just cleaned it, all it takes is one little piece of anything to make your lens too dirty too play back a DVD right.

6. goofex

goofex Member

Okay stanH1000,
    I tried what you said, but when I went to my device manager it was already setup the way you said, so no editing was neccesary. The 1st cd I burnt was at 4X so that doesn't work either.

bbmayo and all others,
    I'm trying to burn an .img file. I'm using Nero SE to burn my DVD's. I've used two different type's of DVD CD's. I've used Maxell DVD+R Data.Video up to 4X. and I've also used Verbatim DVD+R up to 16X. The DVD Burner that I have in my computer is a Sony DRU-720A DVD/CD Rewritable Drive. The DVD player that I'm trying to get the media working for is a Philips LX3500D DVD Video Digital Surround System with Progressive Scan. And No, I have not put any Labels on any of the CD's I've burnt.

I just want to add also that All CD-R's that I've burnt have worked fine. I've tried to play them in the Playstation and I get errors. It's starting to get a little frustrating. Any Help that I can get will be greatly appreciated.

7. goofex

goofex Member

I looked up my DVD Player and here's a Review on it.

Philips LX3500D Review

The ideal theater for homes with standard or high-definition televisions, the Philips LX3500D consists of a Dolby Digital/DTS-decoding surround sound receiver with an integrated single-disc progressive-scan DVD/CD player, five satellite speakers, and a powered subwoofer. The DVD drive reads DVD, DVD+RW, and VCD, as well as CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3 CDs. A full onscreen display simplifies setup and operation. If you're using (or plan to use) a high-definition or HD-ready TV, you'll appreciate the system's progressive scanning, which is referred to as 480p for the number of horizontal lines that compose the video image. This feature creates a picture with twice the scan lines of a conventional DVD image, providing sharper, higher resolution images while eliminating nearly all motion artifacts. The LX3500D also offers 3:2 pulldown. DVD mastering introduces a common distortion when adjusting 24 frames-per-second movies to 30 fps video; 3:2 pulldown corrects this distortion to display a film-frame-accurate picture. Composite- and S-video outputs ensure compatibility with nearly any television. The system's 25-watts-per-channel receiver and 75-watt subwoofer, deliver a total of 200 watts of home theater power, and the five satellites are acoustically designed to match the receiver's tonal characteristics. The front left, right, and center speakers are magnetically shielded to prevent interference with your TV's image. The sixth speaker is a 75-watt subwoofer with a side-firing woofer. The tuner offers 40 FM/AM presets. The receiver features two analog-audio inputs and one analog-audio output, along with two digital-audio inputs (one each coaxial and optical). Three video inputs and three video outputs accommodate your monitor and other video components. Philips' use of distinct colors for each speaker cable and for each terminal on the speaker and the receiver greatly simplifies speaker setup. The package contains a full-function remote control, batteries, operational manual, AM and FM antennas, a quick-installation card, six loudspeakers, speaker cable (left/right: two nine-foot lengths; center: nine feet; surround: two 33-foot lengths), a subwoofer interconnect, a digital-audio interconnect, and a composite-video cable.

Features of the Philips LX3500D include:

Theater system with progressive-scan DVD/CD player, five satellite speakers, a powered subwoofer, and 200 watts total system power
    Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel surround decoding for discrete, immersive DVD surround sound
    40 FM/AM station presets
    All necessary speaker cables, interconnects, and wall brackets included
    Offers a choice of two colors of speaker grilles (beige and tangerine)

I know it doesn't say that DVD+R will play on my DVD Player, but if it couldn't play, shouldn't it not be able to read it at all? I figure since it did play for some minutes, then it's possible to play the entire burnt DVD? Yes?No? I don't know. Well I've payed for them, so I guess I have to use them since I've already used 3 of them. Oh well!

8. WIZ1K

WIZ1K Member

First off...From my personal experience. My dvd players (which are both pioneer) don't like the newer +R media. They work on about any type of -R though.

Also you may try saving your dvd files from Shrink as a DVD Decrypter .iso image and burn using DVD Decrypter.

I've had a few movies "freeze" while playing due to the programs I use. I prefer to use DVD Decypter and then use DVD2One. Some of these discs "freeze". But using Shrink they don't.

9. goofex

goofex Member

WIZ1K,
    trying that as we speak.
    Thank though.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

goofex,
    You need to try those disks in another DVD player (a friends) to see if it's you player that just don't like those disks. It looks like it is your player though. If the disk's play fine in your computer then that tends to lean toward the problem being your DVD stand alone player. You should get a hold of some -R DVD's. I checked this sight on your player http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and most people there have used the -R's. A few say they were succesfull with some TDK, and Ritek +R. How old is your PS2? The older models will only play the -R's also. So your best bet to be able to watch your back up's in all your player's will probably be to get a hold of some -R DVD media.

11. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Goofex,

I have the sony DRU710A You mention the verbatum 16X +R My burner would burn these from 4X to 16X But wow ALOT of PI errors and PI failures the faster you burned the more errors you got. I had alot of trouble trying to get these disks to play on my apex.I would try verbatum 8X(MCC003)media code They look really good on 710A burned at 6X. Compared to the MCC004 media burned at 6X the MCC003 media had much lower PI errors and PI failures. Since the first phillips burners that came out burned +R you would think your player would play +R fine. One other thing someone else on this forum had a simular problem. End up being software they installed DVD decrypter and DVD Shrink reinstalled Nero everything went back to working.
    I found some reviews on this drive plays +R fine will not play +R-DL media. Honestly Im not impressed with the quality of the 710A, was hoping sony had improved with 720A this is not a good sign. Again try the verbatum MCCOO3 media you can find these at newegg. You may even want to try some -R media.

Good Luck

Spacedust

12. goofex

goofex Member

Okay, I think I have found a solution to my problem. I burnt one movie using DVD Shrink and it actually played without freezing up, so I'm going to test it with a couple of other movies to see if this will work for them all. And thanks for all the advise everyone, I really appreciate it. As far as the DVD -R CD goes, I'll try them and see how they work for me.

By the way, Does Anybody know what type of disk or software the industry uses to make there DVD's? I was thinking about that because they make DVD's that play on everybody's DVD players? Is there a way that we could do such a thing? I'm guessing that it's the hardware that they have. Anybody else have an opinion on that?

13. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Originals are not burned but pressed, simmilar in some respects the old viny record process in that a master is used. The pressing is then encased between two layers of plastic. That is my undertsnding.

14. Olvi

Olvi Member

I have same problem. Iam using PowerBookG4 to burn DVDs. Media is Princo Budget (yellow) dvd-r 1-4x and I use 1xspeed to burn disk.
    When I check disks with VSO Inspector there is lots of errors in end of disk.
    Same problem if I burn with nero on windows..
    So I think the reason is lowquality media.. amI right?

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Princo is lower class media, see this site

http://www.videointerchange.com/dvd.htm#DVD

If you are getting errors at the end of the disk change your target size to 4300, you are running to close to the edge where the dye is not good, it would be better if you change your media to something better.

16. Laura_e

Laura_e Member

My father in law purchased the sony 720a dvd burner and had the exact same problem. He ended up taking it back to the store after a couple of frustrating months and they refunded him as they said that they had been having a lot of trouble with this model and many of them had been returned to the store.