1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burnt dvd's SUDDENLY freezing up

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by msxrs, Sep 3, 2013.

1. msxrs

msxrs Member

I've been burning dvd's for a while using ConvertXtodvd for the last couple yrs with no problems. I use either Verbatim or Sony blank dvd's...again, with no problems. Now, for the past few months, my dvd's have been freezing up in my dvd player. Originally I thought it was the player (because it's old) so I bought a new Sony DVD Player, to my surprise, that doesn't seem to be the case because it's still doing it. I have slowed down the rate speed to 4x and even used my external dvd burner and they still freeze up. But when I put the same dvd in my laptop, it plays perfectly. And when I put an older burned dvd in the Sony player, it's perfect. So it's not the dvd player or the dvd media. I'm not a computer expert and for the life of me, cannot figure out what could have changed in the last few months to make this happen. I've recently downloaded Linux but still have windows installed for my burning. However, since I've been using Linux, I haven't done a Windows Update, could this have anything to do with it? I'M BAFFLED!

2. attar

attar Senior member

Take one of the failing disks (that are ok in the laptop) and copy Video_TS to a convenient location - like the Desktop.
    Install and run ImgBurn.
    Select 'Write files/folder to disc'.
    Drag/load the Video-TS folder into the window.
    Insert a blank Verbatim disk (ones that list 'AZO' on the package - not the cheap, 'Value' series).
    Uncheck the 'Verify' box if it suits.
    On the right pane, click the 'Device' tab and select a moderate speed (4x).
    Click the arrow and burn the disk.
    Test in the standalone player.

3. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

Years ago all original DVD Movies just to be print on DVD-5, as time goes by. they start using double layer DVD-9 to add things to it + the main movie. Lately the main movies today use more space to increase quality: so the file become bigger (That is why people extract the Main Movie Only).
    As you rip it to DVDR the big file hardly fit on it (Even if you choose Main Movie Only) It means your burner is burning the DVDR disc all the way to the edge (From inside --> out) that is why the Movie freeze after half to the end.
    It means: It need more compression, when you use Shrink:

Select Re-author (Find the ISO File & double click it) > drag 'Title 1' (Main Movie) from the right to left pane > Compression Settings > Change Automatic to Custom Ratio > Drag the % Bar form right to left to compress the big file (The MB's on your Green-Bar will decrease)> set it up no higher that 4,430MB to play safe. > Backup.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013