1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burrito craving causes file erasing problem in ratdvd

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by sananto, Jun 3, 2005.

1. sananto

sananto Member

ok so im unratting this carlos mencia video, and i tell it to output to my D:\ drive, no big deal right? well then i get hungry for a burrito, so i decide to QUIT the unratting so i can dedicate cpu time to find a cure for cancer and stuff. I come back with a full stomach, but notice i have an EMPTY drive!!! OMG! i lost a ton of downloads from what seems to be a complete random drive-by erasing! so i back track my moves, what did i do, what was running, how long did my burrito take to make, who was in the house, step by step etc etc. Then i remembered the ratdvd. so to test my suspicions i make a new folder name "D:\tacobell\" and stuff random files in it like notepad.exe, a few temp files from internet explorer like borderbanger1.mpg and sombrero.jpg and such. then i tell ratdvd to use that folder as my OUTPUT folder now, instead of D:\ , i let it run, no big deal, it makes a video_ts folder, thats normal, so then i press quit. BOOM! All files, not just the ones it made, get erased!!! :( omg the heart break.

SO the lesson is, when you unrat a video, be sure to specify a NEW unique folder, NOT a folder you have files in. also the ratdvd only erases files, not folders, so my FOLDERS in D:\ were saved.
    AGAIN:
    step1: press start conversion button
    step2: when browsing for folder to output, SELECT a new folder/CREATE A NEW FOLDER
    step3: go make burritos
    step4: come back later later and enjoy unratted DVD.

Dont go through the pain and suffering i just have, well not to much pain... since burritos bring me such great joy *sniff*

I would like to say also that RatDVD is cool, it does what it says and i hope the lam3rz dont fill this board with questions about quality. it seems to me that ratdvd is on par with hq xvid, and im cool with that.
    I can so see everyone using this for archiving DVDz (keeping menus, extras, structure) that can take massive compression (cartoons,anime) without suffering so much from quality loss. and if you cant live with loss of quality then dont compress anything people!!!

2. tensai

tensai Member

damn, really wish I would have seen this bug before hand. Well, there goes about 20 gigs of downloads that I never had a chance to back up. So....that's the end of using this program for me. Already uninstalled and trashed. I just figure if they have this kinda bug, I am not opening myself to finding something worse.

3. milfzor

milfzor Member

Every program has SOME sort of problems at the begining......some problems are just worse than others....like for example, if you use internet explorer, you know how many security holes there are in that program? Someone well versed in malicious code (basically a bad person) could wreck havok to someone who's using that........its all about updating the program, fixing the problems with them...eventually it will be a little bit more stable im sure, also mind you this is the FIRST RELEASE of the program...so of course its gonna have some issues....

4. tensai

tensai Member

I fully understand there are issues with a first release. That's why I didn't come on here cussing, just frustrated. I realize to back up EVERYTHING when trying a new program, but I didn't. I accept responsibility too. Just wish they would add that to a FAQ or something on the program itself, as it is a pretty major bug.

So, I'm not saying I'll never try it again, just have learned I am not trying it again until it's a couple versions past this one. Seems promising.

5. sananto

sananto Member

yeah i was pretty pissed to when it happened to me but this glitch/oversight shouldn't be grounds to just stop using it or even scrapping it, its just a major oversight by the creators, but if you make a new folder, no problem. ill still use it even though it did chunk gigs of downloads for me, oh well.

6. A.Petrov

A.Petrov Member

This bug is already fixed in new version 0.6 released yesterday.

Quote from RatDVD FAQ:

http://www.ratdvd.dk/faq.htm#DeleteAtCancel
    Canceling a conversion from ratDVD to DVD deletes files on the harddisk?

Version 0.5 had a bug that when a conversion from ratDVD to DVD was cancelled, all files in the specified target folder were deleted. Version 0.6 fixes this by always creating its own target folder and only deleting the content in this folder.