1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy Warranty?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by CB_DFW, Jun 30, 2009.

1. CB_DFW

CB_DFW Regular member

I am interested in knowing whether you think it is worth it to purchase a replacement warranty for CPU/MOBO? i7 920 and Gigabyte UD4P.

Fry's my local electronics store offers a 1,2,3 yr instant replacement warranty for 49.99, 69.99, and 89.99.

If either item fails then they replace both and if they don't carry that model anymore they give you a credit for the purchase amount.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you buy the i7 920 retail it already has a three year warranty with intel. Couple with this the fact that CPUs very rarely go wrong. Motherboards are much more likely, but even so it has a two year warranty with Gigabyte. It's also worth mentioning that even if you do want an extended warranty newegg sells it for $29.99 and $49.99 for 1 year and 2 year...

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Have you ever tried to get intel to honor a warantee? I'm still waiting for my replacement Pentium 2...I spent about 20 hours on the phone over the course of several months before I gave up on getting a replacement for the chip I had already sent to them...this was years ago, and the CPU would be almost worthless today...yet they still have not honored the warantee.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thats not been the experience of a lot of other people I know. besides, a lot can change in 12 years.