1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buy WinXP again?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hogan, Jan 30, 2005.

1. hogan

hogan Regular member

I've got a friend whoes mobo just died. She wants to upgrade as the dead one was about three years old. When she gets new mobo she will have to reformat and reinstall XP. Will she be able to use her old XP or will she have to rebuy it. It was regestered with the old mobo. What is your LEGAL computer? The mobo or the case that contains the mobo. I don't know, but I know someone here will have the answer. Thanks in advance for the help..

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the # on the case counts as it matches what is on xp

3. hogan

hogan Regular member

Thanks. Didn't know if she could use the key code again as it was already regestered with old mobo.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what version of xp?

5. hogan

hogan Regular member

xp home w/sp1

6. cgram7

cgram7 Member

When I upgraded to the abit AI7 My XP number no longer worked when I tried to activate over the web,
    so I used the activate by phone option explain to the operator that I replaced mobo and they gave me a 2,000,000 digit activation code I entered that and windows was activated after reactivating I was supprised to find that my original cd key worked the next time

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If you are changing the MB go ahead and use the original XP. When you are asked to reactivate it, if it is rejected you'll have to call the toll free number. Just explain what took place, that most everything else is the same but the MB died and had to be replaced. They will give you another access code while on the phone which you will type in and you should be good to go.

8. hogan

hogan Regular member

Thanks a ton, BUT what a pain in the butt. Microsoft sure has us wrapped up.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Aaaah but what fun... We've all learned a new dance called the Bill Gates Shuffle... or is that "reboot again??? :)

Anyway your welcome. And don't take no for an answer with M/S while on the phone, they are actually very easy to deal with.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005