1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying 360 neeewb! Flashing???

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by sandy10, Jun 21, 2007.

1. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Hi,sorry to ask the dumbest question but im new to this gen.
    Ive been into consoles and chipping etc. for YEARS,i first indulged in this genre after purchasing Streetfighter 2 for snes for 100 quid
    (i know!!!).Someone had mentioned Magicoms so i bought a Supermagicom for the snes where you would backup your games to 3.5 floppys!
    Ive had Swap magic for Ps2,Xeno for the Cube and an xtreme chip for my original Xbox.
    Im going to get a 360 but this new gen. of consoles seem alot more complex.What is flashing exactly? I know what flashing specifically is ie refresh your bios etc. but what is the relevance and necessity when it comes to playing copies?
    Basically im getting a 360 and want to play my backups,is there some way of doing this freely via an exploit of some sorts or is it chip time?
    Why do people seem to have to keep updating there flash to play backups or am i getting confused.
    Is there not one simple procedure that once completed will let me backup and play forever or do you need to (as i suspect) update?
    Sorry for all the questions but i need to know.
    Is there any sign of a Ps3 backup system and if so...when are there going to be some decent games TO backup in the first place!!!
    I appreciate any positive comments you guys can give
    "an old sailor on new seas"
    (or some other crappy metaphor for middle age man playing consoles sadness!).

2. bailey07

bailey07 Regular member

XBOX 360's can be chipped but most people do rely on flashing them.When a 360 is flashed it means that the drive that reads the discs has its firmware changed.Firmware is what the drive runs on e.g a computer runs on an OS.People have managed to create their own firmware and flash it to the 360 drives to make them play backups otherwise known as 'custom' or 'modded' firmware.The 360 drive is flashed by what is called a SATA cable which links your PC to your 360 drive enabling you to flash your drive.This may require you to upgrade your PC as most dont have the right SATA chip set installed ready for flashing a 360 .There are a few tutorials on this site, here is one of them which shows how to flash the samsung: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/516015
    The 360 has different drives too and some cant be flashed like the BenQ. If you google search or even search around a bit more on the forums you'll probably find some tutorials on how to flash other drives.There are regular firmware updates which have new functions and improved things about them and these do require you to flash your drive again but if you are not bothered about the new firmware you dont have to update you can always stick with what you've got as it wont get out of date as such.

Hope this helps

3. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Yeah cheers Baily that explains alot.Why are there so many drives,how many different drives are there?!!!
    So lets say i pop down to my local HMV and theres a shelf full of boxed 360s i take it (from what you tell me) that they could all have completely random drives fitted there a certain model number allocated to these separate drives e.g. so i can look out for the Benq one and keep away.If so which is the easiest most common drive and how do i differentiate between this and another.
    A model number for the best drive would be nice so when im buying i can be specific about the drive i get?
    Which sata chipset does my pc require?
    Sorry about ALL the questions mate but you seem like the guy to ask,sorry!!!

4. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Also i suspect my pc has NOT got the sata so im looking into the extreme 360 usb to enable me to flash.
    It is said that it only flashes Hitachi drives?Is this true and is it possible that as time goes by it might be hackable in some form so as to enable it with other drives.
    Does anyone know whether i can connect a regular hdd via this device so it plays all my backups so i avoid a hefty price for an official xbox 360 hdd and if so what is the maximum gb hdd can the 360 take.I know it wont be internal and will be rather a clumsy,bulky set-up but if its only for playing games im not bothered.Im not the type to spend a packet on dressing my 360 up (lifes toooo short for all that!),if i want to dress stuff up ill buy a BARBIE DOLL!
    No offense to modders intended,after-all like or dislike them some of them do look amazing.
    Cheers,again sorry for all the questions.I do try to find answers before posting by googling my query etc. so as not to waste much of your precious time but im totally new to this generation of consoles.
    You can talk fairly technical to me though,i like to think im fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers in general and im blabbing on again.....
    Cheers.