1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a DVD Burner (Sony DRU510A)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by jznelly, Jun 20, 2003.

1. jznelly

jznelly Guest

I am buying a DVD Burner tomorrow and i wanted to ask peoples opinions if this is a smart buy. I am buying it to back-up my DVD's and for making data discs. I have a Playstation 2 and a stand alone DVD player and i know that they both read DVD-R's only (Correct me if i'm wrong about the PS2). If you think that i should consider a differend burner, please tell me. Thanks

2. jznelly

jznelly Guest

Also, If anyone has one of these, what blank media works best with it?

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Use Ritek G04's with the Pioneer

5. jznelly

jznelly Guest

Thanks

6. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Kinda pointless to get the sony dru500AX (rife with problems, minor and major) when you are just going to be burning DVD-Rs...

7. akoli

akoli Member

I would avoid the dru510a with a barge pole , I waited six months for it(originally ordered the 500a but this was replaced by 510A)

First Day I got the writer the drive screwed up after 10 dvd's , power light kept flickering and the tray does not open or close .

After a month or so messing about with sonydvd link (dutch call centre) and Avery Berkel (IT repair company) i rcvd a brand spanking new one which lasted 2 days !!!! So I've now got to go through the same hassle again .

SO dont go near it as the Sony DVD Call Handler advised me that there will be fix in the pipeline soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Kev0192

Kev0192 Guest

I just got my Sony DRU-510A the other day which I decided on this drive from some personal reviews I got plus one of my friends had the exact same drive. Got home and updated the firmware and the drive works great! I already backed up 10 movies on TDK DVD-R's using DVD Shrink 2.3 , ImgTool 1.00.5 and Nero 5.5.10.42 and it works great on my two standalone players plus my first-gen PS2. Very happy with it so far! Although I might not suggest using the software that came with it :(
    My computer didn't like it too much ( Something with a BSOD about page fault in non-paged area) But other than that, I think the drive is great!

9. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Get the sony burners if you plan on using +R discs otherwise get a pioneer if you plan on using -Rs.

Sony is picky with -Rs. Don't use Nero with a sony burner , use record now max to avoid a host of problems (Nero can ruin your +r/+rw discs). Nothing wrong with the burner, plenty wrong if you mix the sony burner with the wrong burning app. Took me plenty of expensive media to figure this out.

10. taichim

taichim Member

"First Day I got the writer the drive screwed up after 10 dvd's , power light kept flickering and the tray does not open or close . "

Oh my god, I had the same problem and I thought it was just me and got unlucky. Any idea where I could read more about this? I exchanged for a new one, and am very worried that it will screw up again. Is there anyway I could prevent this from happening again?

Thanks.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, im seeing a lot of problems with that drive.

12. Kev0192

Kev0192 Guest

Wow, thats really odd, I guess I just have good luck. I've backed up about 20 movies with the Sony drive using Nero 5.5.10.42 with not one coaster. I hope it keeps up the great work!

13. digedge7

digedge7 Member

I bought this burner Sony DRU510A and
    have not had one
    problem with this drive. I have burned
    verbatim -r and tdk and memorex 4x+r
    I have backed up over 50 of my dvds using
    dvdxcopy and nero 6.0 all I can say is this
    drive is great :) I am also using the latest
    bios

I also burn alot of my stuff in 4x 15-20 min to
    burn a full dvd...not one coaster :)

I would recommend this drive

Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  14. An-Ubis

An-Ubis Member

Same pb with the DRU510A: orange light flickering and the eject tray closed forever... only after 20 DVD-R burned
    My drive died 2 weeks ago, i sent it to sony immediatly and no anwser at this time.
    Very bad experience

15. taichim

taichim Member