1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a large capacity mp3 player.

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by Fionn90, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Fionn90

Fionn90 Member

I want an mp3 player with at least 40 gb. I'm mainly considering an ipod classic. The only problem with it is that it has a hardrive not flash. I'm not sure this will be a problem. Anyone have problems with it skipping when you are walking/running with it in your pocket? Or does it break easy ? I was also considering a Sansa Clip+ with a 32gb micro sd card yet it turns out those cards are very expensive. I dont want to pay for an ipod Touch either but I will if I must. Any other 40gb+ suggestions ? And is it worth paying the extra for an Ipod touch simply because its flash? (I have no interest in the games apps etc.)
    Thanks

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

just did a google search (you might want to do 1 yourself) came up with the iriver,sony vaio,creative zen.I find that Ipods are very overpriced for what they are.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

The best bang for your buck is probably the Sansa View. They only go up to 32 but they will also take a SD chip. That will take you above 40g. I prefer smaller than that because navigating the large capacity players is a real pain. It takes you a few minutes to scroll through 3 thousand artists. The ipods have a fast forward but then you over shoot you artist by a few letters. I is a terrible pain. 16g is optimum for me. That is a few weeks of continuous music. I keep 10g as a core and swap out the other 6 every few months. 6 g is about 100 hrs at a good bit rate.

The disked systems have poor battery life and don't last long any more. They last just about as long as the warantee. I suggest getting an extended warantee for any portable.

4. sean700

sean700 Member

5. Mez

Mez Active member

A warning sean, Chipods used to have a terrible rep. They look great but are made with parts rejected from the good brands. However, I haven't seen many complaints in the last year.

6. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

not nearly as big, but sony makes good mp3 players. check out cowan as well.

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

people got wise to the chipods.. and they stopped selling them.. thats why less complaints... plus the price of the used reputable brands has come right down now.. I get by just fine with a 2 gig card in mine.. holds more music than I can listen to for a full battery charge.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Fionn90 bought a Chipod from a Chinese electronics site (Green Dragon). They are not as bad as they used to be. In the bad old days you were lucky to get 5 syncs before it died. I doubt that it will last a quarter as long as a named brand. That is a terrible investment vs a refurbished Sansa which lasts as long as the Apples and Zens and can be picked up dirt cheap, 20 USDs.

Fionn90 does you Chipod use playlists? Can you select tunes by an artist or album? I am curious to see haw far Chipods have come up in the world.