1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying a new graphics card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dreamer2, Sep 8, 2006.

1. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yours sounds like a proprietary PSU design, in which case you can only use the unit that came with it.

3. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

but it says pci connector for graphics card. r u sure 100 percent that
    it will be compatible bcoz now i have to also pay restocking fee for psu that i m returning and also have to order agp graphics card. if this thing doestnt work then i have to think seriously of buying a new pc. if agp and pci connectors are same it should work. but in specification it only mentions pci express connector. i will order them together on wednesday when agp 7600gt comes in stock. just want to make sure that the gfx card psu is comapatible with agp otherwise i should have to return card and psu and it will cost alot. may be i m getting too annoying by asking too many questions , sorry for that but i m really at dead end. please give ur feedback till wednesday so that ican order them. thanks all for help

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah yeah, good point. Having thoroughly read the specification, dumbly it doesn't have a molex output, so it probably isn't suitable, neither are any separate PSUs. What case is it you have?

7. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you sure that case won't support a standard ATX power supply? It looks like it might. I don't know of any graphics power supply that supports Molex, and therefore AGP, and I don't even think the 7600Gt draws power from a molex anyway come to think of it, it's just bus powered if I remember rightly, so it has to come off a more powerful main unit. Have you tried fiting another ATX unit?

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

7600gt's dont need more power mines now running on a generic 300w psu and it says it needs 350w??? but it works a treat oblivion moves at more than a frame every 3 seconds and total war looks ace on full settings.

sam i took you inital advice and got a mobo and gpu for the price of that leadtek. a asrock k8nf4g and a asus en7600gt which the drivers oc higher than the bfg one, which is nice, and i can swapit out when i get a better cpu after xmas.

thanks sam

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You're welcome. I wouldn't be too concerned about a 7600GT on a 300W PSU, but in this case it's only 240W, and that could definitely be a problem.

11. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

so my case can support standard atx power supply or not

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't say for certain but it looks like it from that picture. If it does, it would explain why a Micro atx one wasn't compatible! In all fairness, that case is much too big to need a Micro ATX PSU.

13. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

if somebody wants to buy 7600gt agp its instock in newegg.i called sony and they say its powersupply u cant buy from any where so i think my pc is ready to be trashed and also i cant find any gfx psu for agp card so i have to buy a new pc.

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

looking at the pics on that link if you scroll down just over a page you get a good view of the rear, now looking at that i think a normal psu would fit or could be made to fit. can you borrow one off any one and try?

in the worst case senario you could always buy another case

after another look i think you might need to open up the hole for the power cord to go in on a normal psu.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  15. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

scratch that
    they are putting it into anew caes with new psu perhaps they had same problem as yourself

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  17. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

"its power supply you can't buy from anywhere" not the PSU they supply with it, it may be worth trying something else. If it doesn't fit, time to get the Dremel out!
    While that PC is better than your current, what if that also has a random non-replaceable 250W PSU? You're in the same problem.

19. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

so can i get better pc in the price range from above if i make it myself and can u give me the best parts which i buy to make pc currently available
    thanks

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's correct. Building yourself is cheaper, you get a better PC for it, and upgrading is far less hassle.