1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a new pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lordrubie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Scan are often more expensive than MicroDirect, but given the comparative customer service, easily the better option. Aria have some cheap stuff, but you can't always find what you want there, especially higher end parts.

2. alienator

alienator Regular member

Ahh true, but generally MD haven't yet failed me on anything.
    so no complains for me.
    I noticed aria dont actually have any of the above cards instore so im actually tempted by this:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512M...R3-GPU-575MHz-640-Cores-2x-DL-DVI-I-HDTV-HDCP

when do you rekon the next gfx card price drop is? Im only at 20pounds saved up so far lol

(but currently i have a 7100 inbuilt gfx card. so anythign will boost me up
    i dnt really game more apps. will my p4 2.93ghz bottleneck the system?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you actually had to return anything under £100 though? Good luck. Though I suppose, being able to harass them in person may help your cause, since they don't respond to emails or phone calls, but they can hardly ignore you when you're standing in front of them.

The next price drop won't be for a while in this part of the market, as there hasn't been a revolutionary new product since August 08 when the HD4870X2 came out, only minor one-upmanship at the top end, which only really affects prices of the top end cards themselves. Get saving!
    Oh and yes, a 2.9Ghz P4 will absolutely bottleneck the system.

That HD4830 is alright, not as good as the other two though. Just a thought - can your power supply handle an HD4830?

4. alienator

alienator Regular member

ah thats not good! glad i dont game otherwise id be highly affected.
    but gud news i dnt currently have any annoyance with my system.
    (except its very noisy excessively noisy tbh) and i dnt have gfx card which has a fan and also no case fans
    boot up time is about 1anda half minutes.

but i think il save for a gfx card first since thats lower priced, and then begin q6600 saving. if that drops prices.
    one thing i noticed is when ive been follwoing its price, is that its gone up from £100 (inc vat) to 150 slowly over the last few months.
    not happy with that
    if i cud get q6600 for 100 i wud definitely attempt a buy.

power supply is a 550w coolermaster extremepower.
    id think that cud handle a single 4830, a p4, one IDE hdd, one IDE optical drive.
    second opinions on that?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you don't play games, why do you want an HD4830?
    The Q6600 has gone up as the Pound has crashed against the dollar. The overall price of the CPU has gone down, but we pay more as our currency is now so weak.
    That PSU would do, but I'd consider changing it once you stick a quad core and a high powered graphics card in.

6. alienator

alienator Regular member

noo! lol more price ups :-(
    well im nt too sure why a 4830
    i think a 4670s probs the best idea for a non-gamer like me
    and rather than going quadcore.
    its get a e7400
    thatll save me a lot, lets hope the pound kicks sme macho now
    cus im low on the money and these parts aint getting cheaper ;-(

what im aiming for:
    e7400
    ati 4670

on a
    ga-73pvm-s2h
    2gb pc6400
    550w

that seem okay?

whats best way to cut down noise? ive nly got a psu fan and cpu fan in my comp
    but its so noisy.
    im considering a passively cooled gfx card.(my case has no fans but has good ventilation)

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you don't play any games, why use a graphics card at all? Integrated would suffice.
    That's not a good motherboard really, Gigabyte make nice cheap boards, but that can't take away from how universally bad nforce chipsets are.
    The noise in your PC is the coolermaster power supply, officially the noisiest midrange power supplies ever made. They remind me of the fans you find in microwaves.
    Budget build:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...o+E7300+2.66GHz+(Retail+775)+?productId=33833

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...press+Socket+775+Motherboard+?productId=33793

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...I+Radeon+HD+3650+512MB+PCI-E+?productId=32928

If you want a quiet PSU too:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...Corsair+400W+CX+Power+Supply+?productId=34003

8. alienator

alienator Regular member

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I chose the E7300 over the E7400 at present because the E7400 doesn't seem to be available yet (It's only just been released). However, the two CPUs will be nearly the same price when they do come out, so by all means take the 7400 if it appears.
    I use the very board you see there in my file server and it performs well.
    The HD4670, while cheap, is still a powerful gaming card, and compares with the bottom end of the Geforce 8800 series.
    By all means spend the extra on the 450W PSU if you like, but trust me, 400W is ample for your system if you use a 4670 and a dual core. 250W would be ample for that system, as it is unlikely to draw more than 140-150W under full load in a game. Unlike coolermaster and other manufacturers, Corsair PSUs produce what they say they do. 400W is actually a lot of power. My overclocked quad core with a 4870X2 and three hard disks only uses about 400W under full load.

10. alienator

alienator Regular member

ah thats alright, i decided if i did upgrade my psu(which is probably wont) that id got with a a good corsair so i dnt have to upgrade if i choose to get a quad core and higher end gfx card later along.
    but for now yeh il sitck with my cooolermaster.
    and raise some money :p

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's always hard to push yourself to upgrade a PSU, since it doesn't innately provide any performance benefits - worse when you do it for silence like I have on two occasions :)

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

sammy than would you consider cosair to be one of the quietest ones out there, or is it certain models are quiet, meaning are all corsairs quiet?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Corsair TX and VX units are what I would consider 'good'. I would place the HX units as 'excellent', though I am not sure about the HX450, CX400 or HX1000.
    I would place the Antec Earthwatts, Be Quiet! Darkpower and Enermax Modu82 ranges 'excellent'. The only PSUs I have seen scientifically tested that I would give 'outstanding' to are the Zalman ZM850-HP and ZM1000-HP (i.e. not the lower end ones) as they are able to remain dead silent even under the load of an overclocked quad core and high-end crossfire / SLI systems.
    For comparison, I would consider OCZ GameXStream units 'mediocre', Thermaltake Toughpowers 'poor' and pretty much all Coolermasters 'terrible'.