1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a new TV, What do you have?....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wyattspop, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I need to buy a new TV and fast. Normally I'd spend a week or more reading reviews and then shopping it out, but it's time-sensitive in this instance. My little boy's TV has had it and I want to replace it immediately. He's getting my 36" Vizio (it's our bedroom TV, I have a $25K home theater downstairs with the serious equipment, 7.1 and even my center channel is the size of a small child (-;/
    1) What's your take on 3D-TV's? I've heard mixed reviews..
    2) LCD or Plasma? I can fit a 40" in the cabinet if that helps. I have an LCD and a DLP now. Steered clear of Plasma at my last purchase when I saw night scenes had a green tint on all Plasmas.
    3) How about brand? I liked the Vizio I'm giving my son except it was a 720, my mistake. I'm a big fan of all Samsung screens, Toshiba maybe..I'd love your opinion.
    Cheers

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't get plasma because of burnin issue & higher energy requirements compared to led\lcd screens.

3. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Ive owned the same Plasma 42" since 2004. No burn issue here. Use a screen saver or blank screen.

A few years back LED and plasma were pretty equal overall picture quality. Not any longer, plasma has taken a huge step forward leaving LED in its wake.

Biggest problem with Plasma technology is power consumption. Ive had it mounted on a VESA wall mount since the beginning. It helps dissipate heat very well. I use the exhaust side of my shopVac to keep the components clean as a whistle.

If a potential buyer doesnt have a lot of space or plans to mount it in a Cabinet (which is a bad idea idea no matter what technology you are using), go LED.

Jeff

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I have 3 Samsung TV's and 1 Sharp in my house.Three are mounted on wall brackets. The other one in an entertainment center.They all work great

5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks DDP, always enjoy your posts.. Yeah, I've seen the burn-in on one of my own screens, not something I could live with and I actually care about power in my home, it's 105 in summer, imagine our electric bills. All that plus weak blacks sold me on LCD, now to find the best one. I like the smart TV concept, web access in bed would be cool, I'd also like to try a 3D but many early-adopters haven't exactly raved about the results so far. I think they release new tech while still working out the bugs. So I guess it's down to brands..If money were no object, would you go with w Sammy, Visio, Sony Bravia, Tosh..?

6. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey Jeff, yeah, I actually love the image of a good plasma but this will be a bedroom TV so it's gonna be cabinet-mounted (heat would be a possible issue). I've heard they've made some strides on the poor representation of black, I watch movies 90% of the time so well-executed dark scenes are critical. I'm about ready for a new monitor in my home theater, maybe I can go with a plasma down there. Thanks much

7. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

My main home theater monitor is a 57" Sammy DLP so I'm a big fan, I'd get another Sammy anytime..Can't wall-mount this one though Sarge, it's in the bedroom where a huge wall unit houses the Screen, curios on the sides...gotta go with a stand-mounted TV, 42" max.
    As an ex USAF Airman, thanks for your service in Vietnam.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if have no problem with current samsung then get another 1.

9. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

im using a sony bravia smart tv,lcd with led backlighting.the picture is great.
    the downside is tv speakers distort if volumn is too loud and it doesnt support all files playback.also requires a $100 usb wireless thing if i want to stream or use smart tv features wireless.

10. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i just have a pioneer kuro 50" plasma as the main tv and a 37"panny in the bedroom,30" hannspree in the kitchen and an old panny 32"crt in the lounge cant move it its so heavy lol .

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have a sony trinitron in computer room an old crt 51 cm and a 48cm crt sammy in the bedroom.when i gave away my nec 68cm crt it was very heavy had to get my neighbour to help me move it to the car.