1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying DS game for son

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Irish13, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Irish13

Irish13 Guest

Hi, I'm new to this forum but I was wondering if you guys could answer a few really newbie questions. I was going to buy Metroid Prime Hunters for his birthday. We bought him the DS for christmas and he barely looks at it but he said that this game would be worth playing. My questions are about the WIFI stuff. I'm not on a wireless setup at home so if I bought him the USB adaptor for the DS, would I have to change the desktop over to a router? I know it seems an obvious answer but I don't quite understand the whole WIFI thing. If I change everything over, would he only be able to use the DS near our system or does it work with any wireless system such as going to a friends house and playing head to head? Sorry for the poor explaination but I don't want to waste alot of money if I don't have to adapt to wireless.

2. GenoUnit

GenoUnit Guest

If you have a wireless router, it will definitely be compatible with the DS. If you are going to buy the USB adapter, then you shouldnt have to change anything as long as the computer has an internet connection (obviously). As far as going to a friend's house and playing, the usb adapter is good for that, but if your son is going to a friend's house chances are him and his friend are just going to be playing, and there wont be any need for the usb.

The Nintendo Wifi USB adapter is really easy to use from what I hear. Just pop it in, it has plug-in and play drivers so you dont have to install anything. Just pop it in, wait a few minutes, make sure you have internet access and then WIFI away!

There is alot to be said about Metroid Prime hunters though. Some people enjoy the online play, some people dont. But without the online play it just isnt the same game anymore =\

Posts like these make me wonder how old the people on Afterdawn are. =X

I'm only 19.

3. Irish13

Irish13 Guest

Thanks Genounit for the response. My son is 15 so yes I am MUCH older than you LOL. I actually do understand some things and tend to spend my time in the DVD forums which I enjoy. I would suspect that alot of people on this site are in the 35-50 range and another bunch in the 15-25 range.
    Anyway, I guess what I was getting at is that I see now I need to go wireless but if my son brings the DS to someone else's house, can he connect to their network with the USB adaptor or is it something that has to be set to a certain IP address. That kind of info. I realise he can play aginst friends as is but can he play against his friends AND online at the same time. In other words, can his friend and him connect at the same time, same place, using their individual units.

Thanks again ( and get to bed young man!) :)