1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying First DVD Burner PLEASE HELP (AVI Files, etc.)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ebener12, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

Ok, I am planning on buying the new LaCie 16x d2 DVD+-RW Double Layer DVD Burner. It comes with the Easy Media Creator 7 Software.

My first question is I am able to download Movies and have them as .avi files and play them on windows media player. With this burner and software will I be able to burn these files onto a DVD so I can watch them on DVD Players and stuff? If not what software or other information do I need to burn these movies.

Another question is can I burn one of my movies....say Spiderman 2....or any other movie that I own...and can I make a copy of it and burn it to a DVD with this burner and software so I can watch it on a DVD Player and stuff? If I cant what do I need to have the capability to do this?

My final questions is what exactly is the double layer feature?

Thanks and any information or help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2004
  2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Thats lots of question for a man whos had several drinks with lunch...but here goes...

1) Yes you can, but you'll need to convert them to DVD compatible format, which is MPEG2. Have a look for guides on how to convert AVI to DVD. You can get programs which do it all for you (convert the video and then write the DVD)...like Nero Vision Express.

2) There are lots of ways to 'backup' your movie DVDs. ONE easy way is using DVD Shrink, go here to learn about it...http://www.dvdshrink.info It lets you create copies that are viewable on your DVD player.

3) Double Layer...burns two layers into your disc instead of just one. Means you can store twice as much data as a single layer. You need to use Double Layer discs which are more expensive right now...and harder to buy. Bought movies are typically on double layer discs...so if you want to 'backup' your movie to a single layer disc then you'll need to compress (shrink) it.

Hope this helps.

Adder.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I hadent heard of that drive before so I did a little research on the web and all the reviews I read are positive about this drive except for one minor detail is it is made by the French ;-) LOL

First thing you should do is trash the software that comes with it and down load Nero6 Ultra Edition.

Second yes by all means you can burn AVI on to DVD and watch it in Windows media player. No need to convert it if you only plan on watching it in Windows Media Player. If on the other hand you would like to watch it on a stand alone player then you would need to format the AVI into a format your DVD player would recognize MPEG2, VCD, Super VCD ect. There are hundreds of guides here that show you how to do this.

Third You can back up any of your DVD movies using several hundreds of methods. I suggest you take a look at some guides I have created and try those first. http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/ these guids are geared more for the newbie and are easy to understand.

Fourth DL, DVD9, or Double Layer is exactly as it states. A single-sided dual-layer DVD disc. DVD-9 can hold approximately 7.95 gigabytes of data, even though marketers like to use the 8.5GB value instead, but this is misleading and is calculated by using so-called "Japanese gigabytes" which means that gigabyte is calculated as 1,000 megabytes, but in real computer terminology, gigabyte is 1,024 megabytes.

Fifth, DL feature. Easy you can write 2x as much as you can on a single layer or DVD5 disk. The movies you buy in the store are normally on DVD9 disks

Hope this helps you out :-0

[​IMG]

4. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

Ok, great thanks alot guys. My next steps are to get the burner, downloadNero6 Ultra Edition (What's the fee for that), and to get the program Nero Vision Express, also whats the fee for that. Thanks again guys. That double layer feature will be really nice for like TV series where their is going to be more than 4.7 GB in the series.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can download the complete trial version first and try it out for 30 days to make sure you like it. When you are ready to buy it this place has it the cheapest I have seen http://www.ibackups.net/index.php?main=products&sub=showcateg&id=8
    NVE is included with Nero you just need to download every package I believe there are 6. Dont bother with Package 3 though, that is IN CD and that seems to cause a lot of problems for people so don't put that on your PC.
    Double layer is cool but the price for the media is to high right now so it is still much cheaper to put your episodes on 2 DVD's if you have to.

Good luck and if you run into any problems don't be afraid to ask :)

[​IMG]

6. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

Thanks I'll update you when I get the burner and try a few things.

So I need to get my burner,

Nero 6 Ultra Edition
    Nero Vision Express
    DVD Shrink

Any other programs off here I will need? Thanks and I was thinking with those programs I can burn a blockbuster movie too?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Nero6 Ultra includes NVE it is a complete video, audio, CD, DVD burning program.

All you really need to back up movies is DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter both are free :)

8. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2004
  9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You shouldn't go wrong with verbatim, as long as they are that is!
    Ritek make good media also.

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I would be tempted more by a pioneer 108. I love the French & I speak french almost nearly reasonably well, but they can be very French at times!

11. hursty

hursty Active member

i have just bought PIONEER 108,you cant go wrong,fast burn speeds,dual layer.excellent driver.and at £50.excellent price.

12. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

I think im gonna start off with buying some verbatim and imation DVD+R discs. How does that sound?

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I use Imation 4x+RW media. it works a treat. I would recommend you to get RW media. You will not get any coasters that way.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  14. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

What are coasters?

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

A coaster is a burnt cd or dvd that is no use. You can use it to rest hot cups of coffee or tea on it to protect your tables etc!!

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can also use them for cold bottles of beer :)

Happy Holidays all !!

17. Adavis

Adavis Member

Coasters - AKA AOL cds, AKA the junk mail envelopes I fill with used fag ends and return via freepost.

Just bought my first combo drive Pioneer 108 with datawrite grey media - thankyou to all in this forum and others(videohelp/doom9) for their reports - an excellent choice.

Happily using:

WinXP/98 Dual boot
    Pioneer 108
    Shrink/Decryptor

18. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

Ordered my burner, and downloaded Nero 6 Ultra Edition and DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. I'm going to buy Blank DVD's now. I think im gonna try 10 Verbatim's and 10 Imation's. What should I get them in....DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW. It says its a +-RW Burner, but can u burn +-R's? Or what is the best way to go? Thanks

19. Adavis

Adavis Member

Ebener you need to post what drive it is, i.e make/model. If it only burns +RW then U need to buy that media - check the box/manual/manufacturers website for details and read the guides here for specific use of each format.

For burning dvd/video -R is the most compatible for playback in a standalone device.

Also I'd recommend checking out your drive on videohelp.com as certain drives have specific problems with varying media.

20. Adavis

Adavis Member

Ahem....spare me the obligatory slap on the wrist...i forgot to read the whole post again...duh.