1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying music

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Mar 25, 2004.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

Do any of you know of a legal music buying service that accepts paypal?

2. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi hk2npck,
    Try www.allofmp3.com it's a russian site with a great catalogue,But sometimes it takes a while for them to get the newer stuff,You just pay whatever you want by paypal,I paid £5 a long time ago,You are charged something like 1 cent per mb which is nothing really.
    Maybe worth a look.

3. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

that is very very reasonable I was reading yesterday that a new online legal music download site was looking at 48 cents per song download from its site

holy shit thats dear

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

DaOsT,

That's interesting since I think the RIAA charges a non-negotiable royalty fee that's over 80 cents. I'd be interested to find out more about that service.

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

vurbal 80 cents per song or per album?? what I read was per song ......I am almost certain it was either SONY or microsoft cant remember which at this moment will go try to find out which now

6. vurbal

I can't find it now, but I remember reading an article about a month or 2 (maybe more?) after iTunes started up about the RIAA charging something like 89 cents per song. The article basically said that Apple was more or less figuring to break even on the service and clean up selling iPods. Smart business on Apple's part but more of the same from the RIAA.

I thought the article was here on Afterdawn, but I can't find it so I could be mistaken. There also may have been changes since then. Besides, you mentioned that it might be Sony, which actually makes some sense. The Japanese have a tendency to be willing to operate a business at a loss in order to dominate a market. Sony in particular has quite a history of this with consumer electronics in the 70's and 80's. It's really a question of long term outlook vs. the quick shareholder payoff that is so prevalent in the US.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Learn AviSynth The Easy Way: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  7. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

vurbal I am almost certain it was sony and they were trying to get macdonalds along with them in some advertising gimick to help promote it
    get it of the ground so to speak

8. vurbal

Well that makes sense. Especially considering that part of any RIAA royalty payments are going back into Sony's pocket anyway.