1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bypassing the RPC

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by vtb, Nov 16, 2004.

1. vtb

vtb Member

Hi all - I just picked up a new Toshiba laptop, with a DVD burner. Now, as a consultant, I travel a lot all over the world, and frequently pick up DVDs to watch in the hotel room after work. So this whole "5 regional code changes and done" doesn't really work for me.

I am interested in finding a solution. After doing some research online at rpc1.org, I gather there are 2 alternatives:
    1/ flashing the burner with RPC-1 firmware, so as to remove the region code setting
    2/ a software solution that resets the change counter after every shutdown

For my particular model - Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R6112, with Driver 5.1.2535.0 (laptop itself is a Satellite A60-772) is there a preferred solution?

Do note that while I am somewhat computer savvy and familiar with command line prompts (still remember MS-DOS), I'm not an expert user by any stretch. Those @experts only or you'll fry your DVD-ROM@ warnings on flash software a bit worrisome.

Also, which software would you recommend? I was thinking of DVD Region+CSS Free to start with. I assume this simply resets the region-change counter - any experiences with it?

TIA,
    Vandit

2. billmex

billmex Guest

all you have to do is find on this site dvd43 along with patin cofffin, these will let you play any region n you burner, and it is free, it always runs in the backround so if you don't use your burner it is quiet. this sholud do the trick for your problem .

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Billmex's suggestion is a sound one. I use the same method myself. But you should be aware of the following:
    1) There is a free version of DVD43 and a pay version. If you accidentally installed the pay version, it would be very difficult to get rid of. Below is the link to the free version (DVD43 1.4):
    http://www.dvd43.com/

2) In order for the free version of DVD43 to work, you need also to install first what is called a patin-couffin layer. Below is the link:
    http://www.mtc-comp.com/vso/patin-couffin_setup.exe

It seems a bit complicated here, but after you've installed both softwares, then DVD43 basically works automatically in the background. So good luck and happy DVD viewing!

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Rats, the hyperlink is quite misleading. Be sure to type the link, rather than just click on it 'cos that would bring you to the pay version, not the free version.

5. vtb

vtb Member

Whoops... sorry for the delayed response, was away on something else.

I've downloaded the Patin-Couffin thingummabob as well as DVD43 free version. Will give it a shot soon.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Vandit

6. ispy

ispy Regular member

Much,much easier,just go to the software tab on AD and download the trial version of AnyDVD,it just runs in the background,the latest version will work on movies that are giving problems,Little Black Book etc.Its well worth buying after the trial period.