1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C&C Generals problem

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by lazboy, Mar 21, 2003.

1. lazboy

lazboy Member

I am trying to maks a copy of MY C&C Generals!! I have done a lot of reading here and tried pretty much everything i have read here, With still the same problem, Keep getting Generals.exe Error when i try to start it up!! Tried over ten time and still getting same error..

This is what i useing,

winXPpro

sony-dvd rw dru-500a(has the lastest update for it)

promedia 10x cdrw's

Alcohol 120
    Datatype is set to safedisk2
    WRITE IS set to RAW/DAO

Also tried DAEMON Tools to mount it and i was able to..

Anyhelp would be great!!Thanks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2003
  2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You'll need the aid of "amplify weak sectors" in the burn process. The game is Safedisc 2.8.x cd protected. I recommend you use BlindWrite 4.25. Use the search feature and you should find the link to download that older version, but considered the better for backing up SecuROM& Safedisc. Choose "authorize the use of alternative read method>next>choose "nibble">read image. Choose DAO pw mode and check "enhance weak sectors".
    Now open Alcohol 120 and go to general>extra emulation and check "bad sectors& laserlock emulation". Go to emulation and check "ignore media type" and your backup should play with Alcohol 120% running is system tray. Another forum member had troubles making a backup of this game using Alcohol 120%. Why? I dunno, maybe his LG isn't a "2 sheep burner" or the drive can't read ATIP, thus needing emulation as you will need.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2003
  3. lazboy

lazboy Member

Thanks Shoey, It seem all the links i find here for BlindWrite 4.25 ar dead! Ill keep looking thanks...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2003
  4. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

5. lazboy

lazboy Member

Thanks chriso123, Already tried there, The links are down! I all so right clicked to save ! No go..

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

lazboy,
    Link is working just fine and it is 8:55 pm (EST). Right click Internet Explorer on your desktop then go to the advanced tab folder. Check enable folder view for FTP sites, click apply, then ok.

Shoey

7. lazboy

lazboy Member

I check and folder view for FTP sites is checked.Applied it again,Went and tried to d/l again, Samething "The server returned extended information"

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I'm not sure if the latest BlindWrite Suite has the "amplify weak sectors" option in the write process (optional). Try this link, download and install.If you don't see AWS option, then do try and backup C&C Generals.

BlindWrite Suite:http://www.blindwrite.com/

Shoey

9. andrew|ca

andrew|ca Member

Actually I got a different problem:

I had cc generals cd1.bin.exe / cd2.bin.exe ******** (deleted by Moderator). I already tried to install and got "Data2.cab" error on ~67% last time I tried to install the game.

Anyway, I renamed both of them to cc generals cd1.bin / cd2.bin

Then I checked and fixed/repared corrupted archives in both files using CDmage. Great!

Next> when I had two uncorrupted ".BIN" files I burned them on 2 CD's using Alcohol 120% @ "8x" speed.

Installation:
    CD1 till ~38% "Please insert CD2".....ok it continues to install, BUT on 100% it stops and this window appeares:

Error 1305.Error reading from file C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals\W3D.big. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

I have already wasted 2 CD's,...

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

[bold]Do NOT post links to pirate material or you'll be banned[/bold]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2003
  10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Error 1305 is given when the installation program finds that the file is damage/corrupted.

Usually 'repair' would work but in case of C&C Generals, which is protected by SafeDisc 2.8x, the 'broken sectors' are a feature of the protection, i.e. they MUST exist. I assume the installer finds that the file has been changed, therefore aborting the instllation.

So, assuming that the original image was dumped correctly (and needs not to be repaired) you have to burn the images back to a new CD-R, using Alcohol 120% with Datatype = Safedisc 2.

Read the full guide here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/28487

11. andrew|ca

andrew|ca Member

Thank you Aldaco12 for your help. A clear helpfull answer right on the next day. You guys are doing a great job.

But unfortinatelly I can't do anything right now 'cause I am at school now. I will check if it works right after I will come home and ad some comments on...

12. andrew|ca

andrew|ca Member

First I'd like to apologize for ..you know what I just really forgot, don't worry it will never happen again.

O.K. I came home, burned only my "CD2.bin" using "Datatype = Safedisc 2" (I didn't do anything with my CD1.bin which is recorded in "Normal Disc" mode)and what do you think...I came to my problem #1 again: it shows the same error on ~68%, after I inserted CD2 -

Error 1335.The cabinet file 'Data2.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Oh boy, I'm on the edge of frustration, I think I will never play C&C-Generals exept downloading CD2.bin (or/and CD1) all over again. Any ideas still...%-(

13. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

First I would stick again to the Guide I posted above.

a) 'Mount' CD1.bin on Alcohol and scan it with ClonyXXL. Is it protected or not? If it's protected, you have to burn it again (because Datatype=Normal CD cannot be used). It it is not protected, CD1 has been burned properly. You therefore can scan for coruption (I would do that, just for safety measure), the mounted image with CDMage (you can do that, since the image is not protected with bad sectors) and if it shows no errors you can put it aside: that disk is [bold]good[/bold].

b) Do step a) with CD2. The protection Safedisc 2.80 should come out. Therefore you cannot scan it for corruption (we must only assume the image is good, so far) and try burning it correctly.

According to our last knowledge, Safedisc 2.8 gives some problem with Alcohol, CloneCD, BlindWrite due to the 'pre-gap' feature, that is correctly reproduced by DiskJuggler and is only emulated by other software.

Since you have a .BIN image, it was not created by DiskJuggler (I assume), so you must stick to the other software listed.

Alcohol 120% is usually good, it emulates weak sectors for SD 2.x but you used it and it did not work. I would try these tests:

1) try using the 'non working' CD2, but before that have Alcohol 120% running on the system tray, with Safedisc emulation enabled. If this work, then you made a 'non-perfect' backup but the image was not corrupted and the problem lies only in correct backup settings.

2) if your burner is a 2-sheep burner (see http://elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/writers/a.html), it does correct EFM encoding of regular BP so you might try using Alcohol + Datatype: SD2 again, but un-selectng 'bypass EFM error' first. This will avoid combining correct EFM encoding + emulation , that sometimes might screw the backup process.

Try those tests and report your results here...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  14. andrew|ca

andrew|ca Member

O.K., so what do we have today...

At first I checked both 2 ".BIN" files with CDmage and non of them was corrupted

Then I checked my CD2 (which is a problem) with ClonyXXL and it [bold]wasn't[/bold] protected (though it was in German I learned it in grade 6 and my father knows it...anyway I understood the word "Kein Copierschutz")

BUT then I checked my CD1 which was o.k. which worked(s) great and ClonyXXl showed 9 skulls and it was written that it uses SafeDisc v2.8.

So, I tried to install the game and everything was the same and this 1335 error that "Data2.cab" was corrupted was the same. (And I have got LG 32x10x40 pretty new model CD-RW, just in case)

And actually as I have Nero program, I installed "Nero ImageDrive". So I opened "Alcohol 120%"> "Image Finder > Chose my 2 ".BIN" files (CD1/CD2) > first file (CD1) right mouse click > Mount on Device > (G:) AXV CD/DVD-ROM (0). It started installation and reached this "66%" without any "Insert CD2"...and again showed this error 1335 - "Data2.cab" is corrupted.

Eventually I gues that it is this "Data2.cab" file which causes all the trouble is really corrupted, as you can see that even despite ClonyXXL shows that CD1 is protected, it still runs the installation and the "1335 error" is only on CD2 which is UNcorrupted (as CDmage shows) and UNprotected (as ClonyXXL shows)

I think that is the only thing I can say for today. Hope you have one(some) more ideas 'cause as already understood you guys want to help as much as you can to everyone and so they will deffinatelly fix their problem, but maybe in my case it's only a metter of this actual file called "Data2.cab".

Who knows, well anyway any ideas would be appreciated and I want to believe in best. :)

15. andrew|ca

andrew|ca Member

I forgot to give the exact name of my CD-RW:

It's HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8320B

16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You have a "2 sheep" burner (corrects EFM encoding) or writes regular bit patterns correctly. Alcohol 120% will backup C&C Generals without any emulation. I believe you have a corrupted bin& cue file. Any chance you can re-download the bin& cue file from a different p2p file sharing client?

Shoey

17. eLeCTR0n

eLeCTR0n Regular member

First i want to thank all of u for replaying really fast. This is a really good way to communicate i have been here before and i read afew stuff.

I am trying to burn a backup og c&c Generals and it's not working. I tried using ClonyXXL with CloneCD. It made a comy and it installs perfectly but i cant open the program and play. But it innstalls and auto plays like an original copy. So then i tried using BlindWrite 4.25 to make an image file but my cd burner nor reader cannot support "Alt" (Authorize the use of Alternative Read Methode) so i still checked even tthough it says its not supported. Then i made the image as an ISO format. I tried to use this Image with Alcohol 120%, CloneCD VirtualDrive and GameDrive it didnot work for some reason it does not load. And when i open the cd from my computer i get the mesege "Inincorrect Function" (notice it doesnt say epty cd or insert cd). I also tried to burn this Image on a cd with Alcohol 120% and Nero and it didnt work. Alcohol120% burned the cd and it finished fine but when i open the cd it does not autoplay and it gives the same messege "Incorrect Function" and Nero sayed the cd is not big enough insert a bigger cd. But i know thats not trure i was using an empty 700 MB cd. oh and everytime i used Alcohol120% i did set the data type to SafeDisk 2. I also tried to burn the image on a cd with BlindWrite and it didnt work.

Please HELP. Is there any software that can defeat SafeDisk?

18. eLeCTR0n

eLeCTR0n Regular member

oh i forgot to tell u

I am using a SONY 52X-24X-52X Burner
    and a LG 52X CD-reader

19. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

20. andrew|ca

andrew|ca Member

Thank you very much Aldaco12!

I was told the same by my classmate... Yeah I will try to download another ".BIN" file and if it will work I will deffinetly post my comments here.

I also got some problems with burning Unreal Tournament 2003 (UT2003_CD1.bin file) but I will post my problem on "UT2003 burning playing" page or smth. like that.

Again thank you very much for your assistance and help with C&C-Generals *-)