1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabel Modem Gone Crazy: Dying or Something Else?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Zeyf414, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

In the past few weeks I have noticed that on occasion my internet surfing would suddenly stop or pages wouldn't load. When I looked over at my cable modem I noticed it shut down and then the lights would come back on and I could continue.

However, today it has consistently shut down and come back on, shut down come back on, ad nauseum. Even when I am not online and I shut off the internet connection it will still shut-off completely and then power on. I checked all cables and power attachments and they are solid. This modem is connected through my Lynksis router via network connection (as opposed to USB). The router remains fully powered as does the rest of my PC. Only my modem seems to be sputtering, stopping, and restarting.

I checked device manager and it is clean. I ran spyswepper, NOD32 anti-vi (nothing found), and I haven't loaded anything new nor have I changed any applications nor have I changed hardware. Basically my internet habits are the same. I also have a firewall.

This modem is about 4, maybe 5 years old and has never given me a problem. Can modems go like this? I have never read of anything like I am experiencing now.

It shut down three times as I wrote this. Anyone have this issue?

I am at a loss so your suggestions will be welcomed

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

most likely is modem problem as in dying. know anybody else using a cable modem to get on the net to switch with to see if problem follows or stays?

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

Im thinking the modem is letting go this is how my siemens started letting go in nov last year and got worse until no more starting.

4. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Good idea. This cable modem came with my Comcast set-up and as steady as it has been it is old, especially by today's standards. I could go back to Comcast and see if they will upgrade for me. If not I am seriously considering Motorola's Surfboard modem. I have heard great things about it.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i'm using that right now. it has a button on top that puts it into standby mode plus has both ethernet connection & usb connection.