1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable connection to my HDTV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by phanboy, Jul 29, 2007.

1. phanboy

phanboy Member

Hi everyone!

I have a great HDTV that I'd like to hook up to my existing cable subscription. I'm not concerned about the resolution or anything, I just want to get the connection before I worry about anything else. Problem is, there's HDMI, VGA, and a billion others, but no input for the cable (I think it's coax). Is there a middle-man box I need to buy, or some easy way to do this?

Thanks!

2. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Get yourself an STB with HDMI or components connections. Probably $5 more on your cable bill but you'll see the difference.

cheezzzz

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Sounds like your TV is a monitor. You need a tuner or something with a tuner in it. A VCR works fine for SDTV while an HDTV tuner like this would be better for you...

Samsung HDTV Digital Terrestrial Receiver (DTB-H260F):
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...box&subtype=hdtvtuners&model_cd=DTB-H260F/XAA

It has HDMI and Component Video connection plus a Digital Cable tuner (clear-QAM) that can receive un-encrypted digital cable channels.

You could also use a HD-Tivo unit if you wan't DVR service and premium channels. Last but not least a Cable Box, as cheezzzz mentioned, would also work just fine too.

Ced