1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable TV to computer monitor

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by notex, Aug 25, 2010.

1. notex

notex Member

So first of all. I am not generally GREAT with these types of things but I have done a bunch of research and I am having trouble...

It is important to know that I go to college at a large university in Boston. At this school, we have our own cable service (Husky Cable) that comes into the dorms via a Coaxial cable (hopefully I am getting the right terminology here). Students normally use the cable to plug directly into a TV. The cable service DOES NOT, however, give out cable boxes to use as tuners (to change channels ect..) and students use the controllers that come withe their TV.

I want to use my Dell computer monitor as a TV this yearin order to watch the cable channels. I cannot afford an HDTV and already use the monitor for video games and for my desktop (mac mini)

I have a one year old Mac Mini computer hooked up to it as well. The computer monitor has DVI/VGA/ and 2 HDMI slots. I use one for my XBOX 360 though...Basically I ask you, How can I watch Cable on this computer monitor without a cable box ??

I previously just plugged HDMI cable directly into the monitor when I had comcast (who provided me with an HD box) but I no longer have the option of using a cable box!

2. dailun

dailun Active member

No. The difference between a monitor and a TV is that a TV has a tuner, which turns the cable signal into a selectable (channels) output which can then be input to a video device (monitor).

You need a cable box to act as the tuner, or put a compatible tuner card into your Mac.

3. mkwabbey

mkwabbey Regular member

i have a 19inch flat screen desktop moniter which is not in use could i watch tv on it if i had i cable box if so wat cables would i need .thanks