1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cablevision DVR Service

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by sloose, Mar 16, 2005.

1. sloose

sloose Guest

I currently have (and am quite happy with) DirecTV / DirecTivo and have used it for about 3-4 years. I havent upgraded the box, so I am at the 40 hours, which suits me just fine.

Cablevision has offered me a DVR service package that will save me $50 a month approximately if I bundle VoIP phone, internet (both of which I already use) and the cable TV.

1) Which box is cablevision offering as their HDTV DVR?

2) If it is the dreaded DCT 6412, is the service/software any better than comcast's apparent goof?

3) Should I just say screw the savings? My direct tivo is and has been completely flawless for 3-4 years- only locking up or needing to be rebooted occasionally.

This is the first offering of anyone having a dvr that remotely has the capabilities of my directivo (dual tuner abilities). I *really* want the directivo HDTV, but i can't seem to fathom paying $1000 for it either.

2. pop0331

pop0331 Guest

The box we've gotten back in January is the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300hd.htm

the link says 90 hours of SD & 20 hours of HD but I think it is actually over 100 & 30 for HD

the box is great, haven't had one problem at all! the dual tuner works flawlessly

some highlights:
    dual DVR
    digital optical or dig coax audio
    HDMI
    External SATA Connector ***as of a month ago, this feature was currently not available***

We bought a 40 hour Tivo back in January and loved it, then Cablevision annouced the boxes were ready in our area so we had to check it out for the $$$

still love Tivo, but I'd miss this box more if we went back!