1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calculations with disk

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jeddy55, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jeddy55

Jeddy55 Newbie

I could use some help here...I did try to figure this out...but..math and calculations, so not my thing. If I have 4.7 Mb DVD-R disk...and a video that I want to burn onto that 4.7 DVD-R disk and the video I want to record sais in properties 378 MB (396,831,574 bytes)...how much is this really? what kind of space will be taken up on the 4.7 GB. I want to add many more but unable to calculate exactly how many videos I can burn on one DVD-R disk. I realize it may be 120 minutes...how do you calculate per MB in 120 minutes...so I can properly add the right amount to the burner software to burn. If movie sais....378 MB? what is that equivalent to in order to add more movies.

Also, I have some blank disk but in properties, there is no where to find out how much space it actually has, I mean it will say, 0 but not how much actual space I have to use on it, just 0.

Thank you

2. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

you mean 4.7 GB DVD-R disk not 4.7 Mb DVD-R disk. which is more, 4.7 billion dollars or 378 million dollars?

3. attar

attar Senior member

http://wintelguy.com/gb2gib.html

Disk drive and DVD media manufacturers report sizes in MB and GB based on Mega and Giga which is 10 to the 6 and ten to the ninth.
    Computer software reports in MIB and GIB which is based on binary which aint.
    The actual 'byte' thingie is the same same in both cases - it's the way they calculate that confuses norms.

The likes of ImgBurn will let you know when the the total size of files you want to burn is larger than the capacity of the media.

4. Jeddy55

Jeddy55 Newbie

Yes...butd...DVD Flk will only let me load about 10 minutes worth of video's, so a ton of space is wasted. I don't know if I have to purchase this or not, cause I am not going to keep wasting DVD disk. I tried to load movies onto flash disk, that did not work in my tv...don't know why.

5. Jeddy55

Jeddy55 Newbie

Hey, thank you on this, I am thinking this is why I cannot get 160 minutes on a DVD disk, I get about 10. and I can see clearly there is more space on the DVD to use...these movies, "some" are but one or two minutes...the most 4...so I don't get it....unless like your saying here...its the image burn that detects to much image therefore it cannot burn but a few movies...being a total of 10 minutes...sometimes less. I am going to burn the large movie together...I have them where they are just here and there for size. Its frustrating for the moment....cause I am recording these videos by my Samsung being on its side...however, all new movies are good to go. I don't understand why the flash drive does not work, its new. I have a scan disk but I havent explored possibilities with it just as yet. I also need softward to copy a video, any ideas on this? at one time I used the software I Copy. Now it won't work.

Thanks....any help is g00d help.

6. Jeddy55

Jeddy55 Newbie

I got that copy video out of the way,,, now if I can just understand and brain storm on the entire amount deally as explained above...I can maybe then figure out how much actual space I have to use...I think. I thought I was doing this buy going to properties, adding that amount of the footage..in total to an added amount from the others and make use of that darn DVD that is sucking the space without being able to add more...jeezzzzz...why does it always have to be so hard. I remember the phone camera's using the mpeg - 2 format and it was smooth and easy to use nero and or other software programs to burn. Now with MP4...they don't tell you to turn your camera to the side to record. I doubt its in your manual for your phone either. It's important to me, they are all for my grandkids to watch. Eventually I will get to the cam corder side of things to tape as well. Just glad I didn't waste $100 on software program...the new nero to find out movies would still play on their sides in DVD player. Sorry, I have rattled on...I am just wanting to be clear.

7. attar

attar Senior member

You should certainly get more than 10 minutes of running time on the disk.
    OTOH, I wouldn't be using DVD Flick since I find it flaky.
    Better off using AVStoDVD if you want to make DVD compliant movie disks.
    Add/drag the files to to the main window and you should see the running total of disk space that will be used on the lower right.
    If you can't get more than 10 minutes of running time listed, you have other problems that have to be addressed.

Clipboard011.

8. Jeddy55

Jeddy55 Newbie

Hey attar....thank you so much...I am on this to see if I can find a free download for this AVS to DVD...it would be so great if it works...boy...I just bought a new batch of disk here, would sure be nice if this works. I was able to take an older mpeg-2 movie, home movie and it actually copied the entire thing, but..it was choppy, possibly I needed to change it to 4x instead of 6x on that speed. Just for those movies though. I am experimenting still. I am quick to ckeck this out...just back from the parents, they have no internet and I am caretaker for 3 days there. This will be great if I can get it to work...I will be back.

9. attar

attar Senior member

10. Jeddy55

Jeddy55 Newbie

Hey attr

I did download this and it infected my pc, I had to re-install windows, I kept getting DVDAUTHOR.EXE infection and MPLEX.EXE problems, never had that before with my other programs that I used until I tried to use the AVS to DVD...hopefully my system will re-install and no issues. I looked both of these up and they are malicious malware. No problem, I have a Seagate external drive so I saved my work and all is fine.

Thank you though for link and recommendation. I am sure you were unaware.

11. attar

attar Senior member

12. Jeddy55

Jeddy55 Newbie

Thank you attr. yeah, I tried several times to use it after using my other one, never had issies until after the use of the AVS to DVD...heck...I don't know...never had that happen until I used that. NO biggie, the re-install was a success and I am back to my other program, dont want to take any more chances. This other pc I use if for my work, the other for everything else in life, ha!!!