1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

calendar girls backup thwarted

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bengo, Apr 3, 2004.

1. bengo

bengo Member

Hiya, I've tried shrink,clone etc and always things get stuck around 26% with "cyclic redundancy error" messages,if any. Up to around this point shrink says it ain't encrypted. It's got my back up without a doubt you know! Anyone have the knowledge please?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi bengo
    that error usually means your disc is scratched or dirty

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bengo,

It doesn't have to be that your disc dirty or scratched (fine if it is, a bit of cleaning solves that) - it could be your disc themselves -

4. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

Ive backed up calender Girls with CloneDVD & AnyDVD plays perfect, why dont you Clean your Discs And Try it Again? if that doesent work then there is probably a fault with your Disc

Dean

5. bengo

bengo Member

Doh !!! in the past I have copied discs that were scratched to buggery after a wash and polish, you must be right but I didn't see anything obvious. I'll look again when I escape work. Thanks fella's, I was beginning to think there was some fiendish device at work. Incidentally, any of you know how I can back up my Louvre interactive DVD that is macrovisioned please?

6. bengo

bengo Member

Doh !!! in the past I have copied discs that were scratched to buggery after a wash and polish, you must be right but I didn't see anything obvious. I'll look again when I escape work. Thanks fella's, I was beginning to think there was some fiendish device at work. Incidentally, any of you know how I can back up my Louvre interactive DVD that is macrovisioned please?
    Hi pete, How do you mean it might be the disk itself please? some fault in surface or something? Cheers, Moi.

7. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

there could be a problem with the Ifo's and the vobs

eg the data is fine but the channels and directions to get to the data it a little bit screwed (i think)

Dean

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Moi,

I was referring to the quality of media itself - we see it quite allot here -

Memorex is a good example, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error”. This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(

Let’s get your media straightened out -

1.* Cheap media skips, freezes, fuzzes, pixelats, refuses to be recognized, partially jams and of course, our good old standby, happening far too often, either isn’t accepted, doesn’t burn or won’t play at all :-(

Inexpensive media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then are too expensive ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

NOT RECOMMENDED
    (*A sometimes fix is to compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3 Gig even. By reducing the amount to be burned you can stay away from the edges where the dye tends to be uneven and the discs may be brittle.)

Yet another trick is to start your DVD in your PC’s PowerDVD player, let it play for a minute then open your program and begin to process the DVD while it’s playing, as soon as your program finds the DVD, turn off the player.

A reminder, play your DVD in your DVD-ROM. It’s easier for your PC to read the disc and it is much easier on your DVD burner. Constant stopping and starting of your burner required to read a disc could cause premature wearing out of your drive.

Getting a 5-pak of Verbatim (Branded) or Ritek G04's
    could provide you with your own answer -

Good Luck :p)

Pete

9. bengo

bengo Member

Hi again Pete, all good advice and gratefully recieved however the problem is at the ripping stage at the moment. I went through the nightmare of not knowing which media I could use and nearly went bald tearing my hair out, trying different media, cruising the forum's, constantly banging on at TDK wherever I could get hold of them, numerous burning software and finally a couple of firmware revisions before it all settled in.
    If only we dedicated so much effort to academic stuff we'ld be buying our backups with our immense income, eh fella?

Hail Ritek, salut, Ian