1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camcorder Won't Playback or Import Mini DV, blue screen?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by hogwild, Jun 3, 2009.

1. hogwild

hogwild Member

I recently filmed an event using my Sharp Mini DV camcorder. I used both the battery and power chord.

Before using my battery it showed a full charge. While I was recording the battery soon (within a couple minutes) ran low and the camera showed an error. After turning it off and back on, it allowed me to record for several minutes just fine before showing low battery again.

I later recorded more with the power chord hooked up. I recharged the battery for a while with a full charge showing.

I have now discovered that the camcorder will not replay my Mini DVs. It only shows a blue screen; HOWEVER, if I press fastforward or rewind while in the play function I can see the video I recorded using the battery. If I try to play it again it will go back to the blue screen. This occurs primarily on the video that was recorded using the battery, but some on the video I recorded using the power chord.

I have tried to import the videos onto my computer as I have in the past, but they do not show up as the screen is blue on the camcorder during playback.

Is this possibly all because of a bad battery? Do the heads need cleaning on my camcorder? I'm confused as to why I can see the video during fastforward or rewind but not using the play function.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank You!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you captured your video, to your hard drive, via a firewire connection, and the video doesn't play correctly, then the problem may be with the video camera battery being junk. It may be time to get a new battery.

3. hogwild

hogwild Member

Thank you for your reply. I hope it is just a bad battery.

The camcorder will not play the Mini DVs correctly; therefore, I can not import the video onto my hard drive. Even the Mini DVs that were recorded while the camcorder was hooked up with a power chord will not play correctly so that they can be imported onto my hard drive. I could understand if the videos that I recorded using the battery did not play but the others won't play correctly either. Do you think this is a camcorder problem, a problem with the Mini DVs, or both? Additional suggestions are appreciated!

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I could be a problem with either one of them. I would try a different brand of miniDV tapes. I use nothing but Sony, but I would think that most of the brand names are good.

Try a different brand, and if the results are the same, it may very well be the camera. Try cleaning the heads, with a cleaning tape.

5. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Take the tapes to a camera store and ask to play them on a camera in the store.

6. hogwild

hogwild Member

I just cleaned my heads and the tapes played! Thanks for all of the suggestions.