1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Can’t install ubuntu 16.04 on mac mini

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by jukolauta, Aug 17, 2017.

1. jukolauta

jukolauta Regular member

I have a nasty problem that I just haven’t been able to solve. I have a mac mini(late 2009) and I really would love to replace the osx with ubuntu (or an other linux distro, perhaps). I have read all the tutorials I can find on the topic with no luck, so I have to ask some personal help. The dvd-drive is deceased, so the only option is bootable USB.

So, I have managed to make an bootable usb but when I get to the GRUB menu (via refind), where I can choose between installing, or trying ubuntu without installing it ”black screens” regardless the choice I’ve made. I suppose it could be graphic card/driver related problem... I found some various instructions to edit the commands before booting by pressing ’e’ to enter the editing mode. I have tried to edit the lines but regardless the changes, it won’t reboot by pressing the suggested ’ctrl-x’ or ’F10’. Absolutely nothing happens.

At this point, I’m well passed frustration, so I would be extremely pleased if anyone could help me out with this one...

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Before you do anything (unless you have re-install disc of mac) make backup image ,preferably 2 on different hard drives.
    I have limited knowledge of fixing linux issues so won't be able to help much.Black screen can be caused by out of range resolution (perhaps try a lower res unless others have had same issue on the same pc & got a fix).Too many times have had this happen even in a vpc enviroment.I normally go to distrowawtch.com & try another version or dump it and use a different distro.Is ubuntu even compatible with the mac i thought they were proprietary hardware,in which case your assumption about drivers etc is correct as ubu wouldn't have them.I'd try finding a distro that worked as a live boot &most probably install as a dual boot in case it all went to hell

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

not all macs use proprietary hardware as I blewout both xp & osx out of an all=in-1 imac & loaded win7 on it.

4. jukolauta

jukolauta Regular member

Thanks for your reply. I'm open to other distros too. I sure will make a backup image since my dvd-drive is out of the game... Although there really isn't much to save because it's all pretty shitty at this point anyways. Every software is becoming obsolete, including web browser. Only the chrome is hanging on and losing it's grip as we speak! Needles to say, that osx don't allow to update anything anymore... What a drama my life is! :D It just would give satisfaction to give the old bugger a new life instead of just buying a new one.

I will find an answer to this problem. There's always a solution! :) cheers!