1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a 780p display better than a 1080p?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by billyjol, Apr 6, 2007.

1. billyjol

billyjol Member

can a 780p hdtv with 3000:1 contrast ratio give a better picture than a 1080p with 800:1 contrast?

2. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

Thats a hard question to answer because most TV maker contrast ratio are on different scales.I would think that 1080p is better bar none but its nothing that going to make you jump out you seat.

3. david66

david66 Regular member

at the present time there is no 1080 P material all networks are broadcasting in 1080I or 720P and there is no plans to change to 1080P because of cost and bandwith the only 1080P can be found on HD dvds

4. Arturiux

Arturiux Member

and what about PS3? which one is better for ps3? 1080i or p or 720...? which will give better graphic(picture quality?
    Sorry for english ;)

5. sd72667

sd72667 Regular member

Let your eyes decide it for you.

6. Flameon

Flameon Member

720p for games and sports, 1080i for TV.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Contrast Ratio is a slippery slope. It is better to compare models rather than specs. There are many types of Contrast ratio numbers. Dynamic ratios and Static ratios are the most common. There are also different scales. Then there is the contrast ratio of the room that the tv is going in (which measures how much light from the tv actually makes it to your eyes).

So in theory yes it, a tv with a higher resolution and lower contrast, can look better. But I would need to know more about how the numbers came about, what type of technologies being compared, and what the lighting condition is in the room the tv is going in to make a judgment.

Also, there are more things to consider than resolution and contrast ratio. Video Processing quality is the most important because good video Processing (VP) can make standard-def tv look almost HD and bad VP can make high-def tv look almost standard-def.

Ced

8. DragonRM

DragonRM Member

800:1 is pretty low too, either way... 1200:1 or better seems to be getting more common.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

800:1 sounds true. Most TV manufactures inflate there contrast ratio numbers buy using suspect measuring techniques.

Ced