1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a file be too small?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kjjw3456, May 23, 2007.

1. kjjw3456

kjjw3456 Member

I've burned a file onto dvd+r disk that is about 1.46MB. The problem is, it doesn't work in my home dvd player. I have a Phillips DVDR 75/17 player/recorder and when I insert the dvd, it says "no disk". I used the Memorex DVD+R media which I've used this pack before in my home player/recorder and it worked fine then. This is the first time I've tried to make a dvd with Nero. When I click on the disk Info it list DVD+ under DVD Session and DVD-ROM as the book type. My Phillips player support dvd+ format. Is my file too small and if so, what can I do about it?

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

1.46MB is a very small file for a DVD disc. If it is a VCD format and your player can play VCDs (check your manual), it would make more sense to record to a CD-R than a DVD disc.

Did you record the same file to the Memorex disc or were there other files recorded on that disc? If the Memorex disc was recorded exactly the same way as the Philips disc, then the file itself is not at fault; but the Philips disc may not be finalized. Nero will record data files (if the video file is recorded as data) in a default multi-session mode which allows more files to be added to the disc. You would have to record the file in the non-multi-session mode so that Nero can write the size of the disc and its start/end points for the DVD player. Multi-session leaves this information off the disc so that more files can be recorded; but that means that the DVD player, which expects such information when it loads the disc, get confused and may deny there is any disc there at all.

If the file is an MPEG-2 video file, you will have to record it as a video file in Nero for the DVD player to recognize it. More information is needed about what you are trying to do: 1) what kind of file is it? 2) what mode of Nero are you using? 3) are you finalizing the disc or leaving it open as multi-session? Your computer drive is obviously reading the disc properly, which it can do with unfinalized discs it started recording and is waiting to finish; but your DVD player cannot. I suspect it is a case of using the wrong Nero format and, if the data DVD format, an open multi-session disc.

3. kjjw3456

kjjw3456 Member

No, I burned other files onto the Memorex brand before. I used Nero Vision and this is the procedure I have followed:
    1:Start Nero Startsmart 2:Make own DVD Video 3: Add video File 4:Next 5: Do not create a menu 6: next 7: next (preview window) 8: Set burn to: TSSTCORP CD/DVD TS-H652L (this is my dvd writer) set recording settings to DVD-ROM 9: Burn. It goes through the process but it will not work on my dvd player. I also clicked on the "more" tab and told it to "finalize" but that didn't make any difference. I have tried to use the MPEG-2 file but I get the message my license has expired. I paid for this software so why has it expired? I have the retail version of Nero 7 Ultra with the updates. The original file was .flv and I converted it to .avi, mpg. I have tried all of them but nothing works with my dvd player but they play fine on my computer. This file was downloaded from Youtube.com. It is a video of my friend's grandson and she wants it on dvd. How would you do it and what settings would you use? Thank you for your time and your help.

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

As for the expired license, this could be a case of Nero allowing a 30-day trial for the use of the license in order to keep the cost of the software reasonable. Those who do not need the MPEG-2 license do not have to pay for it. Those who do need it must renew it on the Nero website. (AT&T slammed everyone with the announcement that they, too, wanted to be paid for their patents so buried in encoding details that the lawyers only recently discovered them, or they decided to wait until everyone was using MPEG-2 as the format standard for video and then decided to slap all software and hardware companies with injunctions. Nasty business.)

Anyway, it sounds as though you are doing everything correctly. Keep the original file as a "master" before recoding it to other formats. That way, if things don't work, you can go back to the original source with no loss in quality. Check to see if the Nero site allows you to renew the MPEG-2 license--it's not expensive. (A lot of lawyers can get rich if everyone in the world pays $0.70!) That may solve the encoding problem. The file(s) play fine on your computer since the royalty is for encoding, not decoding.

5. kjjw3456

kjjw3456 Member

Thank you for all your help! Hopefully, I have found the problem. I put one of the Memorex I had tried back in the drive and tried to finalize it again and got the error, "unsupported media". I found an extra dvd+ disk that had come with my computer and tried it and it worked! It was the Imation brand. I have just purchased Verbatim brand and hopefully they will work also. I read a lot of good results from people who had used this brand. May I ask one other question? The file I downloaded from Youtube and converted to other formats all have some extra scenes in them that are not shown on the web site. Is there some way I can get this file without the extras? I know I can edit them out or at least I Hope I can. I used the http://media-convert.com/convert/ link to do it. I have converted it to .avi, mpg, etc. and they all have it so apparently the file I downloaded has it also. Thank you again for your help and time.

6. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Nero Vision has some rudimentary editing tools you can try. The software allows you to cut out some of the program you do not want.