1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a modded NTSC xbox play PAL games?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by blazingcr, Mar 12, 2006.

1. blazingcr

blazingcr Member

I'm using evo-x, and haven't been able to get a definite answer. If it is not possible, is there a way to edit a PAL iso to make it NTSC compliable? thanks for your help.

2. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Sure, it can play them. The problem I had with the one PAL game I tried to play was not with the xbox, but with the TV not being able to display a PAL signal due to it being an NTSC set.
    So, yeah you can play them, but whether you can actually see anything but a rolling B&W screen depends either on the game, or your luck.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

yep, same as above except that i have not found a TV out of the 3 i have and 1 at a friends that would not play them just fine.
    I have a few PAL games on my NTSC system.
    But my system also has a modchip so that make a difference i'm sure.

4. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

I have a chip too, Xenium, and no go with the PAL version of Black that you said worked for you. Not unexpected as there is an incompatiblity issue between NTSC and PAL. Sets in the US just don't display PAL correctly. If they did there wouldn't be any need for conversions, which I can assure you there is. In Europe it's hard to find a set the doesn't support both formats, but not here.
    There is more to this I am sure. I never really bothered with foreign games. The ones released here in good ole NTSC are fine with me, so I'm not sure what the details are. It's safe to say though that it may or may NOT work for you. Can't hurt to try it.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Possible that it may not.
    I am also in the US and have had my Xbox on 3 different TV's and no problems yet with PAL games.
    I have a DuoX2 chip and it will play both PAL & NTSC just fine.

But my TV's are also all foreign brands
    Samtron, Samsung, & Advent

6. Tommigrl

Tommigrl Member

I have Xbox Media Center dashboard on my Softmod Xbox and Im having a hard time playing PAL games. My tv flickers when I play PAL games after switching my Enigmah Video to PAL...I've even change the settings on my dash where it auto switch for game region and it still doesnt work. When I try to play the games in NTSC, it says that there is a problem with my disc. And I havent found a way yet to play PAL games on a NTSC xbox

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  7. Jigen

Jigen Regular member

Enigmah is only for changing the output on your xbox. Won't help the TV at all. If you live in PAL-land but have a dual mode TV you can switch your PAL xbox to NTSC and play the games that way. Usually the games are out here first in NTSC, so Europeans do this.
    Switching your NTSC xbox to PAL with Enigmah if you live in the US is a bad idea because your tv can't handle the PAL signal your xbox is putting out. You won't even be able to play NTSC games properly.
    I did manage to borrow my friends PAL copy of Soul Caliber 2, and low and behold that one worked. Don't know if it's really a PAL game, I have only his word to go on, but it did work. My PAL version of Black did not work on his xbox either, BTW.

8. Fused0ne

Fused0ne Member

Well I wondered about this, and the other day I got a copy of a Pal Zathura game, and tried it on my xbox (which is softmodded), at first it seemed to lag the video, but on a 2nd attempt worked fine. Lag could have been cause it was a Pal, or because it was a multiple game disc, both I was trying for the first time.

9. Tommigrl

Tommigrl Member

Okay here is the thing. Me and some MODDERS from Xbox-HQ was working constantly for 12hrs trying to figure this stuff out and FINALLY WE DID. My NTSC now plays my PAL games and I didnt even have to use Enigmah Video...I was using an older SID so I used SID 3.0 and AID 3. I used the softmod from SID but I used XBMC as my dashboard from AID 3.0 In the dash, I went into Settings, My Programs, and select Auto Switch Video Mode and Select For 60hz Games - Use only PAL 60. Restarted my xbox and NOW ITS PLAYING PAL GAMES...Note: if you have an older softmod on your xbox you have to uninstall it and restore your xbox back to its state and then softmod it again with a NEWER Softmod

10. Fused0ne

Fused0ne Member

My Xbox was softmoded in either end of January, or start of Febuary of last year. And its playing Pal games, if this game really is a Pal as it said when I got it.

So about how old would u say is probably to old of a softmod?

11. Tommigrl

Tommigrl Member

My softmod that I was using for a long time was the first very softmod that came out of SID...Yeah you might have just recently gotten your xbox modded and if so they used the latest softmod to mod your xbox. Surely not the very first one that have come out. The game that I bought was Warriors and yes it was a PAL game. I've gotten several PAL games and they wasnt working before. However now all 10 of the PAL games are now playing.

12. sesko

sesko Regular member

i have downloaded project zero pal, my xbox is modded with xecutor 2.6 and used a earlier version of slayers auto installer but not sure what version, any ways, this game wont play, shows no disc, i know it was burnt properly and all, is there a setting somewhere to tell my chip to recognize PAL or shouldnt it automatically detect it?
    anyone?
    thanks!

13. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I play tons of PAL games on my NTSC Xbox and TV...

Even with old outdated soft mods and mod chips, as long as you set the Xbox's region to whatever it is that you want it to be then it'll output that signal.

For example, I always set it to either default (NTSC North America) or change it directly to NTSC NA myself. Regardless of the game's region, it will output a NTSC signal to my set.

Now, of course, there are a few games that won't work such as GTA:SA and I *think* Conker's Bad Fur Day. Those two require that you play it in the region they were designated to, so say you try to play a PAL version of GTA:SA on an NTSC Xbox. It won't even boot unless you set it to PAL. Additionally, even if you use a PAL Xbox, you can't use Auto or Default. You'd have to use PAL.

14. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

i have a gta:sa backup. for some reason when i'm in the evox dash and put it in, it recognises it as a game but when i click it it loads then goes back to the evox screen. but, if i reset the xbox with the game in it, then it runs just fine. i don't really care either way as long as it works, just thought i'd comment.

15. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I think soft reset (TSR in EvoX settings as I recall) has to be disabled as well for GTA:SA to boot from EvoX. It's been a while since I played it, but I remember there being two issues with GTA:SA back-ups, one of which being the region.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  16. sesko

sesko Regular member

just wondering, can i install slayers auto installer 2.6 on a soft modded xbox, or is this installer only for hard mods?

thanks

17. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Slayer's is designed with hard mods in mind, so if you plan on using it for anything other than installing applications then I suggest using the latest version of AID instead.