1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any normal DVD writers, burn Dual layered DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by 2FAST4U, Aug 28, 2003.

1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Guest

I was wondering if this was possible since in the future, more and more DVDs become dual layered and now all burners(todays) will be useless for dula layered discs because its limited to 4.7GBs.

2. Tosca

Tosca Guest

one word.

Compression.

Most, if not all, newer dvds are dual layered. You don't see that stopping folk from making backups do ya?

3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Guest

Nope,lol :)

How much can you compress from a dual layered DVD (around 9.4GBs) into a single layer DVD(around 4.7GBs) without losing a large quantity of quality?

BTW:Im planing 2 buy a burner very soon and i need some suggestions:
    Should i buy:

LG 4040B:
    CD Read Speed: 32X
    CD Rewrite Speed: 16X
    CD Write Speed: 24X
    Data Access Time: 110 ms
    Data Buffer: 2 MB
    DVD Read Speed: 12X
    DVD Rewrite Speed: DVD+RW: 2.4X, DVD-RW: 2X
    DVD Write Speed: DVD+/-R :4X, DVD-RAM: 3X

Price:
    $299.99-$100Rebate=$199.99 (Canadian)
    $215.10-$71.70Rebate=$143.40 (Ameriacan)

-----------------------------------------------

Pioneer A105:
    CD Read Speed: 32X
    CD Rewrite Speed: 8X
    CD Write Speed: 16X
    Data Access Time: 200 ms
    Data Buffer: 2 MB
    DVD Read Speed: 12X
    DVD Rewrite Speed: 2X
    DVD Write Speed: 4X

Price:
    $215 (Canadian)
    $154.80 (American)

4. rsb64113

rsb64113 Member

The quality that you "might" lose depends on the type of backup that you do. Even though there are a lot of dual layered discs...alot of movies can be backed up without compression if you only decide to backup the main movie. IF you want to do the entire disc then most people severely compress the menus and extras and try to minimize the compression of the main movie. DVD Shrink and Instant Copy do very good jobs.

As for the burner....hard to beat the pioneer...either a05 for dvd-r only or the a06 for dual.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I doubt its 9.4GB. My advice would be to re-author in DVD shrink and use only the main movie. Get rid of the credits as well as you want to keep the compression ratio to a minimum. In answer to your original question, dual layer DVD's ar enever burnt and cant be burnt, they are pressed discs. You can but them but the machines needed to press are thousands of $ and are meant for large amounts of copying as the actually surface press is changed for each disc.