1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anybody help me w/ my hard drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bridq, Nov 9, 2004.

1. bridq

bridq Regular member

Hi guys, I have 2 hard drives on my system and had to reinstall windows XP on my c drive. When i was reinstalling I accidentally deleted one of the partition (I think it was my second hard drive). When windows was reinstalled I could not detect my second hard drive. I went to control panel, admininstrator tools, computer management, and finally disk management. I activated my second disc drive but windows only detects it as 128 GB when it is actually 250 GB. The drive is a Maxtor 6Y200P0.

I heard read somewhere that the problem could be either my bios or the drivers on the hard drive. I'm not sure what it is and have no idea how to fix it. I apologize if I didn't provide enough specific detail. If anyone could help I would really appreiciate it! thanks!

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Do you have SP1 or two installed? This should fix the problem.

3. vato_loco

vato_loco Regular member

Hey Bridq..

Ok u may want to unplug both harddrives from the IDE connector (s), plug back in your Maxtor 250gb and see what happens make sure its reading and prosesesing the data tables correct... once you have the Harddrive being reconized re-install windows or whatever.. then plug back in the second or primary drive and see if its reconizing it as well. once both have been tested seperatly connect them both as you once had... then see what happens

because if worst comes to worst you might have to re-formatt one or both of the hard-drives

(the technique isn't a HIGH-class one, but it can help solve questions that lead up to the answer.)

4. bridq

bridq Regular member

Hi guys thanks for your replys! I've been away for awhile. Ianski what is SP 1 or 2? I'm sorry but I don't know what those are. Vato loco I did disconnect both drives and plug them back in, and I get the same results. Somebody told me that I need to download the latest drivers from Maxtor; so I might have to give that a shot. If you guys have any more suggestions please let me know! Thanks again.

5. bridq

bridq Regular member

Guys I just went to maxtor and downloaded the maxtor Big Drive enabler to try and fix the problem. I tried to update the registry, but got a message that said "The registry update is not applicable for the operating system installed on this computer." ARGH!!!!

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

bridq, I'm a little confused. Deleting a partition on C drive should not do anything to D drive unless D was the second partition of C. Are we talking 2 actual HDs or 1 HD at 250gig divided in half. If its 1 drive cut in half then the 128 gig showing is about right for the second half.

Jerry

7. bridq

bridq Regular member

Sorry for the confusion. yes, I have 2 hard drives; I accidentally formatted the 250 GB one. Now it is only detected as 128 GB.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sp1 & 2 is service pack 1 & 2 from microsoft for xp

9. bridq

bridq Regular member

DDP thank you for clearing that up for me and thank you for helping with my other post. I believe I am running SP 1 since I have not upgraded Windows XP; only reinstalled it. If I install SP2 will it automatically be detected as 250 GB? Or will I have to reformat first and then install SP 2? Thanks again everyone for your assistence.

10. ddp

does your version of xp comes with sp1 in it or do you have to go online to do that as i do working on customers' computers

11. bridq

bridq Regular member

I'm not sure. Should I go online and just download SP2?

12. ddp

goto system in control panel or right click my computer, properties & should tell you if sp1 or not. leave sp2 alone for now as some problems with it. have you done the xp upgrades minus sp2

13. bridq

bridq Regular member

DDP it just says Microsoft windows XP Professional version 2002. So i guess I'm not running SP 1.

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

then you should go to Microsoft's site and get SP1 and SP2...that will take care of your problems. No worries :)

15. bridq

bridq Regular member

so if i download sp1 & 2 my hard drive will automatically be detected as 250 GB? I don't have to reformat?

16. bridq

bridq Regular member

ok, so i went to microsoft's site and downloaded and installed SP1 (or at least I thought I did). But when I right click on my computer and check properties it doesn't say SP1; and my Maxtor hard drive still says 128 GB.

17. ddp

no because if do you'll lose all info including sp1 & 2

18. ddp

retry again to see if update sees your sp1 or not

19. bridq

bridq Regular member

ok, so I upgraded to SP 2 and the drive is still detected at 128 GB.

20. ddp

is drive fat32 or ntfs