1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help.. Problem burning backup DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Rammie, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Rammie

Rammie Guest

First let me tell you what I am using for media..

Memorex 4.7 GB 4x

Software..
    Nero Ultra Edition
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One

The problem I am having is that after I rip the DVD and "shrink" it to fit on one DVD when I go to burn it on Nero it gets through the simulation and starts to burn then comes up with one of two errors.

either it says can't perform end disc at once or

Focusing error

Any help would be appreciated.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Rammie, welcome to aD,

First off, we need you to change your media, Memorex is an excellent example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example., Princo, Fuji, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized :-(
    Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which “pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case. Trying to shut down your software and ejecting your DVD then restarting your program and re-inserting the same media recently cleaned has been known to help.

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 RiData, Ritek, TDK, Sony or Verbatim discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR, the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Orange Pack, Princo, Fuji, Great AZO and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups. Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts varying amounts, true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

BTW, In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to the type of composite some manufactures use, their method of dye application and the lack of OR the poor quality control used during manufacturing. when I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than that you are buying now.

As for your difficulity with Nero, First - Do not use Nero Wizard -
    I suggest that you print this out so you don't miss a step and follow along word for word. I'm going to attempt to make this as easy and painless as I possibly can. To get to Nero Classic, follow the "bouncing ball". First, - lets go to Start, All Programs,then Nero, then Nero Ultra Edition and finally Nero Burning ROM. Good -
    When you open Nero Burning ROM, you will be at the "New Compilation" window. Directly under the title "New Compilation" is a choice block to choose either DVD or CD, choose "DVD". Directly under that click on the "DVD Video Icon." Then click "New" in the upper right corner of that screen, NOT the main screen.
    You now are in the "DVD Video" window. In the left screen, click "VIDEO_TS". In the "File Browser" screen, 3rd from the left, trace your path to the VIDEO_TS folder, the one you made earlier holding all of your files and click on that folder. All of your VIDEO_TS files are now opened in the right screen. Click on the top file, hold down the "Shift" key and then click the bottom file thereby hi-lighting the entire column of files. Click and (holding the left mouse button down) drag the entire column of files to the open screen, second from the left and release the mouse button. Now click the icon on the task bar that shows a match on a disc, and then click "OK" and now, clear the room, stand up tall and shout out, "Burn Baby, BURN" ! One more time, let me hear you say it, "Who's your Daddy Now ???"
    Guess what my Friend ? You are done !!!

Cheers,

Pete

3. Rammie

Rammie Guest

Thanks ScubaPete

I should have been more clear in the way I was doing the burning.. EXACTLY as you suggest (yeah).. as an old dos-er I like to see what's happening and be in control of the program as much as possible..

The identifier you linked to in your message shows the media type as:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG04]
    Disc Type : [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG04]
    Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Co.]
    Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
    [DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

I know I'm a newbie but doesn't that mean it's the good one or at least one of the good ones??? according to the reply you posted?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

For the most part there's not much for you to control - BUT if you want to do it a harder way, try ripping it with either SmartRipper or DVD Decrypter and then use CCE to compress and create your own custom menus using DVD Lab or TMPGEnc DVD Author and you can burn with TMPGEnc DVD Author or pick something else like Nero Classic where you an control the number of copies you want to make and the speed you wish to burn at also -

Enjoy your learning experiences -

Yes, that's one of the best discs and is listed in my post -

Cheers,

Pete

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

another great piece of light reading, where do you get the time pete.

quote:Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example., Princo, Fuji, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

Arent you being abit harsh i found princo's to be excellent and after 4000 discs i only got maybe 50 to a 100 that didnt work.But i have found that they dont work as well as these (TYG02) MADE BY TAIYO YUDEN (called maxdata).So far i have done 100 and only had 2 fail, but i think i was asking to much out of the burner .I had the setting s wrong.

andmerr

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2004
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Andmerr,

I don't think I was being harsh - I never said you couldn't burn Princo's, I said the quality control wasn't that good -

I put this out for the majority of pple. I know pple who burn crap and have a low failure rate BUT many, many more pple had more than they're share of problems with the same media. It's that I warn against.

I see you agree with me - on the Taiyo Yuden

Ya see, I'm pretty much on track - Try this link given to me by brobear and you can see who makes what and who doesn't. - You can checkout their dye too (if they're using decent stuff) and if it's a no name mfg OR one we know to produce quality media. Checkout my latest trial media, "Great AZO" made by a Company who doesn't make discs but has 7 or 8 no name mfgs under 10 different contracts - some of this stuff will blow your mind. "Comp USA" discs are so bad we can't even track them - Until proven incorrect, I'll stand by my posts -

http:\\www.mediamatch.de%2Fmedien.php&wlg_table=-3&wlg_table=-3

I hope the link is right - it's called "Mediamatch"

It's a German site and I use Babblefish to translate it -

Enjoy, and peace :)

Pete

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  8. Rammie

Rammie Guest

Hey Catfreak..

Sorry I don't speak any other languages.

Is there an english version of the page?

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey pete that link doesnt work for me have you got another

andmerr

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Guys,

I couldn't find the original link for a while, the only link I had was through BabelFish. I guess through the translation they changed the URL, Go Figure ?

Any way, here is the original URL -

http://www.mediamatch.de/medien.php

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Rammie,

Use WorldLingo OR BabelFish :)

"P"

12. catfreak

catfreak Active member

If you use DVD Identifier, first put a DVD in your drive, then click on the ???(identify) icon ... just to the left "more info" will become an active link. Click that and you'll get media match and it'll be in English ...

..Off-topic warning !..
     Hello Pete ... one off-topic question ... which RiDATA do you think is best: a RICOHJPN produced R01, or a RITEK produced R03?

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're looking for Ritek-R03-002

That's -

Media Type ID: [R03]
    Product Revision: [002]

1X, 2.4X, 4X, 6X-8X

You'll be good then :)

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004