1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone help with file sharing on Vista?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by dpslusser, Dec 1, 2007.

1. dpslusser

dpslusser Member

My moms computer is running Vista. I haven't really xplored to much with vista to know all the nooks and cranies of configuration. Im haveing trouble being bale to share files and folders through my network to my XP computer.
    Before I get into Detail, I just wana no if theres someone out there whos no's alot about this, and can give me a hand. Or am I looking in the wrong place (as in Forum)

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

When I switched to Vista I had problems figuring out how to fileshare.

What you have to do when you setup files to share is on the drop down menu after you hit share then select everyone and then hit add. Sometimes you also have to add guest.

Also go to the Control Panel. Select View Network Setting and Tasks. Make sure you have a private network setup. You most likely want Network discovery on. Make sure that filesharing is on.

I'm no expert but I do know a fair bit but I'm also still just learning Vista as well.

3. dpslusser

dpslusser Member

Dude, ive been fighting this this all freakin day!!! I had it working perfectly about 2hours ago. I just had to drop the security level in Zone Alarm in order for my other computers to see me in their network places. Than I dunno what happen, I didnt change anything, now nothing works again. VISTA PI$$es me off sometimes!

4. sweepe007

sweepe007 Member

hello I too had this problem the best solution is to get the book Vista for dummies But for file shareing you have to make sure all computers on the network have the same network name xp uses mshome and If I remember Vista uses workgroup make sure both have the same name and run setup It is all explained in the book It is well worth the money