1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A NEW PROCESSOR

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tripplite, May 6, 2007.

1. tripplite

tripplite Guest

so I have a 2 ghz intel pentium 4 processor, i need more power and speed basicly,i need a little help for what to look for when buying a cpu i went to newegg and saw that processors where split into

Brisbane
    Lima
    Manchester
    Orleans
    Taylor
    Toledo

what do they mean, can a single core be much better then a dual, hyper threading any good, 64 bit and 32 bit (whats the difference), just what should i look for and what does it mean? If any one upgraded from a pent 4 to something else please mention your upgrade, if there is anything else i should mention please ask.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2007
  2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Edit
    Edit due to me being wrong

The list you had written up had names like Brisbane and Manchester and Orleans where all place names from what i could tell one was In Australia and the other in England and USA so therefore i thought you were confused but it seems i was soo im sorry for the mis information posted by me but these are names of locations around the world but i have never seen processors named these.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  3. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

The easiest thing we can do is first ask: What is your budget? Then, what do you want to do with your PC? By the way, looking at that list, those are names for AMD2 core processors -- at least Brisbane, Orleans, Manchester, and Toledo are. You have Intel.

64 Processors and dual core - whether AMD or Intel - are for the now as well as the future. With few exceptions, few game utilize dual cores, but more games eventually will. Dual core shine when utilizing applications, DVD burning, video editing, etc.

Intel has tremendous dual core processors avaliable now. I like AMD, but currently it is hard to beat what Intel offers. If you do decide to upgrade you are looking at not only a new processor but a new motherboard and RAM as well.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

right i'm looking for anything better then what i have now, i'm willing to pay 100 dollars, i like to game but not alot, i just need to more at once with my computer

5. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

it would be helpful if you could give us your system specs and take it from there like your motherboard, amount of RAM you have, video card, etc.

6. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

being that is a 2ghz cpu then most likely is a northwood dye which has a 400 fsb which the board has also. can max out at about 2.8ghz to 3ghz using that northwood dye cpu. that is a socket 478 cpu. the board is unlikely to run a prescott dye cpu which is 533 fsb.

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i got a gig of ram, radeon 9550 graphics card, 20 gig internal hardrive,
    pent 4, SP2 XP, AND the computer is a dell dimension 4550

8. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

I looked up your PC specs online (if you Googlw Dell Dimension 4550 you can find it for yourself).

Here are a few things you should seriously consider:

1. The power supply is 250 watts. You should probably strongly consider upgrading your power supply if you are upgrading other hardware. The thing is I have read of many people having difficulty in finding power supplies fitting Dell cases.

2. Your AGP slot is a 4X/2X. You can find cards that are AGP 8X/4X but make sure they are 1.5v cards. And see point #1.

3. I failed to read how much RAM you can put in both slots, but the wisdom of today is that for gaming 2 gigs is the minimum.

* My suggestion is that you save your money to about $1000, give or take, and build one in a year's time.

9. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

lmao; I srsly hope you're joking....those names are the names of the processor's CORE.

10. tripplite

tripplite Guest

_ __

_
    Halen5150--- thanks the other guy didn't get it right, ya didn't make sense that they would be made there cause it's all made in japan, china and south korea, what i need to know is will a new processor interfer with software or other hardware in my computer, and if some one can explain the difference between single core and dual that would be golden

11. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

A new processor isn't going to interfer with your hardware or software. Dual core: two cores operating at the same time as opposed to one (single). As I said in my first post dual cores at this moment will be able to run background applications while you are involved in something else. They are great for video editing, etc., but few games utilize dual cores; few softwares utilize dual cores but they are coming. And as I pointed out dual cores are for the present into the future. To know what a dual core is you've got to know what a dual core is able to do.

If you are going to upgrade your processor you have to know what motherboard you have. If your motherboard's socket is no longer supported an upgrade in your processor, though not impossible to find, will be difficult. And if you are thinking of getting a dual core you'll need a whole new motherboard, RAM et. al. You are limited by your motherboard.

12. tripplite

tripplite Guest

thanx's guys i'll sleep on this stuff before i get my processor thanks for all the help it's been great... tank....out!!!

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if new board chipset is different from current motherboard then you'll have to do a fresh install of xp.
    tripplite, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  14. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ddp-- thanks for mentioning that man

15. ddp

no problem. teach & learn

16. funky22

funky22 Guest

Core duo E6600 is the clear winner best performance for buck and price just got lower :)

17. ddp

funky22, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAAP.
    1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

18. funky22

funky22 Guest

yes sir :)

19. tripplite

tripplite Guest

is true some programs can't run on certain brands of processors like AMD, or is it just that they receive better performance on intel or something??

20. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I'm not an expert but i guess its more so if you can find a driver that works with the Operating System you are running or Drivers for the hardware your are running.