1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can burn data dvd but not video dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by FrancoisP, Mar 29, 2005.

1. FrancoisP

FrancoisP Member

I am not very familiar with what's involved in burning DVDs but I am wondering if I have been looking in the wrong direction.

My new Gateway 820GM came with a DVD burner. I installed Nero (Vision Express and all) and I found I could burn data DVD wihtout problems but I can't seem to make a good video DVD to be played in regular DVD players. Either the disk doesn't close or the process completes but the DVD will stutter when playing.

After trying other software (Clone DVD, DVD Shrink, DVD Architect) I found I had the same problems.

Yesterday I got angry and went out and purchased an external USB 2.0 DVD writer.

It behaves the same way!!!

Why does data DVD buring work and not video DVD burning?

By looking on the web I have read stuff about DVD encoders that I am not sure I understand. Is it possible that my problems revolves around my video card and not my DVD drive at all? Can someone please help as I already spent a lot of money and I am despairing. Thanks.

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

It may be as simple as using a decrypter such as AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter, etc. I suggest this since you didn't mention using one prior to the copy process.

3. FrancoisP

FrancoisP Member

I do not need to decrypt as its not copyrighted. I am the one creating my own content with my camera and generating a AVI file. If I copy that AVI file to a DVD as data there is no problem but if I try to burn it as playable in any DVD (VOB file) using Nero Vision or another software that's when the burning fails.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Encode the avi with something like VSO DivXtoDVD & then burn that with Nero Burning Rom [in DVD-Video mode].

JOB DONE !! :)

Always use decent blank media b.t.w

5. FrancoisP

FrancoisP Member

This actually works!!! Thanks. It's too bad that I can't use Nero Vision anymore but thanks to you, I now have a work around.

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

But of course you can still use NVE. Note that Nero can work with some, but not all avis. So again you may convert the avis into mpegs or change the avis into formats recognizable by Nero (e.g. XviD), then burn with NVE, and make a menu if you like.

7. herbsman

No problem Francois :c)

I'd steer clear of NerVision Express if I were you , it's not needed.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

herbsman,
    What's wrong with NVE as an alternative?

9. herbsman

It's not a good encoder.

10. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

True, and we've chatted a bit about that. But my experience has been that if I first convert the video files into something that NVE would recognize and accept, then it can handle things quite smoothly from there. The up side, of course, is its capacity to make a menu, change the video properties etc..

11. herbsman

I would much rather use other apps for menus etc though...

DVD-Lab Pro maybe (?) , or if just basic menu and chapter insertion then TMPGEnc DVD Author.
    I've used Nero for about 5 yrs thru all sorts of version changes etc but still would never trust encoding to N.V.E
    I use it to burn .bin & .cue or for plain ol' DVD-Video mode , but always in Nero Burning Rom [and not in any other Nero half pint add ons like Nero Express or bloody StartSmart - lol]

herbs :c]-~

12. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Well taken.