1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can copied DVD's work on all Players?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by espoboy8, Aug 7, 2005.

1. espoboy8

espoboy8 Member

I am new to DVD burning, but learning quickly. However when I burn DVD's
    some will work on some DVD players and some won't. Now I know that some players will play either/or DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW disks, but I was wondering if there was a way to produce and disk that would be able to work on every DVD player in NTSC format. I mean there has to be a way, otherwise how would major motion pictures sell their movies if they would not be able to on all DVD players.

2. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

espoboy8, if your burner is capable of bookmarking, dvd+r is the way to go. otherwise, dvd-r is your best bet.

4. colw

colw Active member

For info - commercial store brought DVDs are pressed and not burnt.

For best burning results - use good quality DVD media - Vertabim, Ritek, TYs etc.

5. colw

colw Active member

oops!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  6. moogie14a

moogie14a Guest

I'm having a problem burning some movies to DVD+R/RW.

I have only burned one movie using DIVXtoDVD that will play on my stand alone DVD Player (Sony). I've tried five other times and can't get another movie to play on the DVD player (it plays fine on the computer DVD player).

Will a DVD-R work better?

Help!

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

espoboy8 and moogie14a,

What are the makes and models of your dvdrw drives? You may be able to booktype dvd+r/rw media to dvd-rom (most compatable format) if your drives are capable.

Dvd-rom is most compatable followed by dvd-r then dvd+r.

Note: poor quality media, burning to fast, and excessive compression can also cause compatability problems.

Mort

8. moogie14a

moogie14a Guest

If I slow the KPS down will that help?

I'm using a Dell Computer, I believe a TEAC burner. I believe I can use a DVD-R.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Try burning at 4x or 2x for poor quality media. What brand are your discs? Use this free proggy to determine the manufacturer and ID and let us know what they are. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

I need the model no. of your dvdrw to determine if it is capable of booktyping dvd+r/rw media to dvd-rom. Some teaks are and some aren't.

Mort

10. espoboy8

espoboy8 Member

Mort, I have a TEAC DV-W516GA-KIT-B 16X DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer DVD Recorder Drive on a Gateway PC (PN:1977144K00L)
    The DVD-R are from Staples and are up to X8 compatible
    (Item 590794 Model 590794)

Also I'm not sure I understand the concept of booktype
    I fact I will probably need a step by step process to get through this

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  11. moogie14a

moogie14a Guest

I'm using a TEAD DVD+RW DV-W58E on a Dell Dimension 8300. The brand of DVD+R / RW are TEON 8x.

These play fine on the pc DVD player. I may try to slow the transfer down to 2x's, I think it is currently going @ 4x

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

espoboy8 and moogie14a,

The medias you are useing may very well be all or part of the problems you are having. For video reproduction you need good, high quality, proven media with an even dye layor. Staples will buy their media from the lowest bidder and you never know what you're going to get from batch to batch. May be good budget media such as ritek or ricohjpn to pure garbage such as cmc magnetics or worse. Here are some media codes for teon dvd+r's.

Teon DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG E01)
    Teon DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    Teon DVD+R 4x (Philips C08)
    Teon DVD-R 4x (CMC MAG. AF1)

Doesn't look too good. Use this free proggy and give me the manufacturer and ID of your medias. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

I can't check to see if your drives are bitsetting capable right now, website down, but I will check later.

Mort

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  13. moogie14a

moogie14a Guest

Hi Mort,

Thank you for all the help.

The manufacturer is CMC Magnetics Corp (CMC Mag)
    Media Type E01
    Says that the Blank Disc Capacity is not supported by MEthod 2)
    Gives speeds of 1x-2.4x, 4x, 6x-8x [Method 2 MIght not always Detect All Speeds)

Are these DVDS better for file transfer and not movies?

I think I paid $4.99 for the 25, and have almost gone through them all trying to get something to play on the stand alone...

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

moogie14a,

You could probably use them for files but personally I wouldn't. The website I need to check whether or not your dvdrw is capable of bitsetting is still down. I'll keep checking but in the meantime you can try some good, dvd-r media. Dvd-r's are more compatable with set top dvd players than dvd+r. Verbatum, taiyo yuden, sony, TDK dvd-r, and maxell should all be ok. Stay away from memorex, HP, phillips, no name, and retail store branded media eg. staples, office depot, compusa.

If your dvdrw is capable of bitsetting we can get you set up to booktype dvd+r/rw media to dvd-rom which is the most compatable format.

I recommend getting some different media regardless. Cmc magnetics causes a lot of problems. Your problem is either poor quality media or your dvd player is not compatable with dvd+r media or both.

Mort

15. moogie14a

moogie14a Guest

I tried a DVD+R Sony disc and am having the same problem.

I'll get DVD-R media from the list you mention below. Can't hurt to try.

It's odd as I could burn just 1 movie, the only movie and it works fine. I've also burned over movies (on the SONY DVD+R) and it worked fine.

Thank you again for the help!

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You're very welcome. I'll let you know what I find out when the website I need is back up.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

espoboy8,

Your teac is an oem lite-on SOHW-1633S drive so you will be able to booktype dvd+r media to dvd-rom. You can use the lite-on booktype utility available here and there is also a usage guide. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=83441 You can also use dvdd and nero to booktype your +r/rw media to dvd-rom.

moosie14a,

It didn't specifically say who makes your teac drive but the firmware also looks like it's a litey and the W58G and W58G-A ARE both oem lite-on drives so I'll bet your dive is an oem litey and also capable of booktyping +r/rw media to dvd-rom. Try useing the same methods I described to espoboy8. Good luck guys and holler back if you need some more help.

Mort

18. Mez

Mez Active member

First of all the feed back on this thread is expert. I will add to it. Quality of the media and the burn rate together will produce a good reproduction. The poorer the media the slower you need to burn I mainly use garbage for DVDs to be used for viewing. This is not to say I do not have good blanks as well. Sometimes I do not want to fool around and I always keep a RIPed version on good media even if I have the original. The kids' computer is only 1.5 G and ripping it from the original takes too long. They burn at 1-2X but they are only doing the copy not the ripping and compressing. I believe burned DVDs are far more easily wrecked than the pressed ones. Especially, if the master was scratched.

Make sure the master is cleaned with window cleaner or dish soap. Any smudge and scratch is burned into the copy. The best copys are made by burning a new out of the box DVD. This is actually how the process it supposed to work. You are not supposed to be making copies of rented disks.

The player may be more or loss compatible. Cheap ones may be less compatible with formats and may skip more.

Lastly, a dirty lens on any reader will reduce the quality of there image. It will skip ect. There are lens cleaning kits. They do work if the lens is real dirty. I was under the impression DVDs never had to be cleaned because the disk never touches the reader. WRONG! Especially if you have kids that do not put the disk away after they use it. They just leave the disk laying some where upside down so the face does not get scratched. This allows dust to collect on the face which tends to ruin the disk and dirty the lens.

One last time. Clean the master as good as you can. If the copy is bad slow the read and burn rate down to 1 if you have to. Your media does need to be compatible with your burned for this to work at all. Good luck and maybe you need to start learning with premium disks and look for bargans after you know what you are doing.