1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can disk errors be overlooked?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shadrack, Dec 30, 2004.

1. shadrack

shadrack Member

I've tried to find the answer on this site but to no avail. So sorry if this is an obvious question.

I'm trying to backup a DVD, get to 97% of the disk using Clone2DVD. Then it says I get a cyclic redundancy check error, which I think means there's a bad sector on the original disk.

It would be difficult to exchange the original disk (long story) so I'm wondering - is there any way to persuade a program to ignore a bad sector on an originating disk but burn the rest? Even if this means I lose some of the original I'm OK with that.

Help appreciated. Thanks! Shad.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Yes, this is possible:
    1) There are programs that let you burn just a section of a movie (e.g. TMPGEnc), so basically you can just do away with the parts that are bad or unwanted.
    2) There are programs that save as they burn (e.g. Power Video Converter), so when the program hits the corrupted part and stops, the uncorrupted part would still be there for you to manipulate.
    You may want to experiment a little more yourself.
    Happy DVD editing!

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I have no luck on this with dvd shrink. But dvd decrypter is Better at this, you have to set it up in the settings to "rip with brute force" and ignore all read errors.

Again,I had no luck with dvd decrypter but you may.

One of the versions of dvdxcopy has a version to repair discs,that is what I have heard,but not tried.

Another member tried the electric skip dr to repair his scratched discs with success. Under $40.00 at wal-mart. Again,i had no success in it.

When it comes to crc and cleaning the disc doesn't help,I have no luck at all,lol

Here's some other stuff I tried,advised by other members: clean the disc with arm and hammer toothpaste. Place it in refrigerator for a while.

Again,no success. I am still looking for a cure.

I don't know if it will help,but you can give them a shot.

4. gorec9897

gorec9897 Regular member

Are you using labels? If so just remove the label and it will read. This error also occurs when using labels (that is if the DVD is a backup). If not try taking some isopyl alcohol (70% not 90% - I consider the 90% to be too strong of a solvent) to clean the disk.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005