1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can DVD Decrypter Be used for backing up DVDs larger than 4.7 GBytes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by raceman17, Sep 8, 2004.

1. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Hello,
    I have had great success using dvd decrypter and dvd shrink all in one. But I was wondering if I could use Decrypter and say Nero to burn a larger DVD on two or more 4.7 Gbytes DVDs. If this is possible, what happens with all the menus for the second DVD once the first DVD is burned?
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. viper64

viper64 Guest

Why would you want to do this; use 2 dvds for one movie you can still burn all the menus and extras with shrink.

3. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Well see, If you have a larger movie, Say 3 hours long, you WILL lose some quality in the picture. I would like the picture to be as clear as possible so if I can do this, I dont mind changing a disc during a movie. In the past, I have done this and I can tell a difference in the quality using DVD Shrink. Thats why I was wondering if it is possible.
    Thanks

4. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Does anyone have an answer to this question? Is it possible?

5. nist

nist Member

Yes! it is possible. One easy way to do it is to use DVD Fab program ( http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-fab.htm ), check it out. Its not freeware but I guess freeware alternatives also exists, but so far unknown for me. I prefer one dvd solution :)

6. sorcerer3

sorcerer3 Member

i have been trying to backup my copy of the ps2 game madden 2005 but decryptor gives me a winrar file of 6.7 gig. what do i have to use to make it fit on 1 dvd that has a capacity of 4.7 gb? is it possible to backup this game?

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

@raceman17: Another good program for splitting discs is DVD ReMake. It's $25, and IMO well worth the price. There's also a Pro version for $45, but if you mostly want to use it for splitting discs, the regular version should handle it most of the time. You can also use it to remove extra angles in a movie (like credits in different languages) or just remove some parts of the disc. Depending on how important it is to you to have everything from the original, you can often reduce the size to fit on a single blank without splitting it at all. There's a link to my guide in my signature.

@sorcerer3: You should post that question on our PS2 forums.

8. raceman17

raceman17 Member

Thanks, I will look into that option.

9. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Hello raceman 17
    I'm a fellow newbie too, and I'm positive that the new Shrink can split lg movies on two discs by clicking the reauthor button and using the frame start/stop to divide your chapters onto 2 disks. I saw a real good guide on this but now (lol) I can't find it. (It's a b!tch getting old) rofl,, Maybe someone can direct us both to it?

10. raceman17

raceman17 Member

I tried using the reauthor option and, it works but, you can use the menues, Id still like to use the menues but I havent found out how or which "free software" can help me do it

11. vurbal

@raceman17:
    For free software, I'd recommend looking at DVD Stripper. You'll need to look for a tutorial for it as well, because it has a little bit of a learning curve. It also depends on IfoEdit, which is a great piece of software, but one which never quite got out of beta. That means that some changes will cause the resulting disc to have playback problems.

@bigfoot30:
    This guide covers editing in DVD Shrink:
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_intermediate.php
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  12. raceman17

raceman17 Member

I have Windows XP will IFoedit work for this application.

13. vurbal

It should work fine.