1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can GBA cartridges be rewritten?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Razor89, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Razor89

Razor89 Guest

Hey dood that's reading my post. I just got an awesome idea that will fall flat on its face as soon as I realize it is too good to be true. I have noticed that GBA cartridges are reeeeally expensive. So what if I could buy a real game and rewrite it? I know they sell cartridge writers that cna be hooked up via usb. Couldn't we 'format' or something? I mean, the cartridge already has to have write functionality, or else games couldn't be saved. So even if the game has protection of a sort, we could get around it, right? I'm just a cheap dood lol.

Razor

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

There is only a small amount of flash memory for save games, the main part is not rewritable.

3. Razor89

Razor89 Guest

Why isn't the main part rewritable? Is it because of a protection of a sort? Then that would be a pretty good situation...All I would have to do is find a way to circumvent the protection. And since I own the cartdrige, it wouldn't be illegal.

Razor

4. bosco1

bosco1 Guest

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the game cards i think still use a rom chip which means if chip is soldered to circuit board it has to be unsoldered. you have to get a rom reader/writer device that aren't cheap to rewrite the rom chip if the chip is rewriteable.

6. Razor89

Razor89 Guest

I would like to quote myself... "I just got an awesome idea that will fall flat on its face as soon as I realize it is too good to be true."

Damn. So close lol. I know what you're talking about, those flash advance cards or whatever...But they're too freaking expensive. Where can I get an alternative, or at least a really good deal lol.

Razor

7. bosco1

bosco1 Guest

Seach Ebay for 'GBA Flash Card' and a few should pop up. For around £30 you can get a 512mb version, which with most GBA games being around 7mb should hold a fair few of your backups or 'freeware' roms. Personally, I don't think thats a bad deal, although I can't vouch for any of them, never having used one. Hope this helps.

8. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I'd jus like to drop in there. DON'T BE DECIEVED, GBA roms maybe 7mb in size but the cart doesn't state the size in data, it's graphic data. Most GBA games now are 128bit so according to that 1 128mb cart will fit one game, believe me I got 2 different ones, I reccomend 512mb though like the above post as you can fit 4 gba games on it, and RRP for a 512mb is jus twice the amount of a gba game, so I say go for it, or wait for the DS Neo Flash to finish development and you'll be able to play DS and GBA games AND be able to re-write and backup. Currently it can't backup roms :( Good thing I dropped in before you got the wrong idea and did something stupid. It's still a good deal, jus save abit of money anyway. -STINGY Flash Cart developers don't even make it clear how many games you can fit on it until you buy it:mad:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006