1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Hard Drive Space mess up Burning Process?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Tmb04, May 27, 2007.

1. Tmb04

Tmb04 Member

I been trying forever to burn DVD's but never had any luck. I used Nero and a few other Lower Name Products and still doesnt work. I even use an external DVD burner as well.... What i'm trying to say is, Some programs like Nero require a certain amount of Hard Drive Space to successfully burn a DVD. Does not having the required amount of Hard Drive Space interfere with the burning at all??

I'll let you know that every program I use, I always make it to the point where it starts to burn the video onto the DVD but Stops after a minute or so...

2. attar

attar Senior member

This from Nero's site.
    "Up to 9 GB available hard disk space for DVD images and temporary DVD files"
    Is the hard drive defragmented?

3. JVC

JVC Active member

If you have plenty of blank HD space, for the movies (allow about 10 GB) to be put in, then you may need to do a defrag of your hard drive(s). When ripping the movie from the original, it requires space for the encoded files, on the HD. Then the encoded files can be burned to disc. If the files get fragmented during the encoding process, it may be hard for the software, during the burning process, to find all the files. That may be why it's having problems. It's a known fact, that a defragged HD is better for backing up a dvd.
    Good luck!

4. Tmb04

Tmb04 Member

I defragmented my HD about an hour ago but it really didnt free up much space. I have about 7.5 Free GB... My DVD burner requires 8 or 9 I think while Nero at least requires 8+. I have a 38 GB HD... So the reason i'm asking this question is to basically learn if I need a bigger HD or not. If a new HD will help than I guess I have no choice but to get one

5. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    free HDD is a governing factor as follows

the disc you are copying to..........= 4.7Gb
    disc you are copying...................= 4.2Gb (just an example)
    15% of total for pc to do it's thing = 1.3Gb
    free space needed.....................= 10.2Gb (or there abouts)
    if it's a D/L then the amount needed increases dramatically

to be honest...yes you could do with a larger HDD.
    add a second and use that for all your burning.. etc..then you can leave your "C" drive free for pictures..music..and misc. junk that we all have hanging about.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well I'll chime in. You should take a peek at your Nero log for some clues. I've been down to less than 5GB on my C: drive and still been able to burn with Nero (vid files off another HD partition). I also almost never defrag, with XP/NTFS it's not really needed with newer faster systems/HDs.

You might want to explore the usual options, DMA, burner Master/Slave relationships etc.