1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I add vista to my Pc?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by sandisk, Mar 10, 2007.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hopefully some of you guy's can give me some input into what I'm thinking of doing.

Basically at the minute I'm running windows xp home edition sp2 and my pc specs are- eMachines5260, p4 2.9ghz, 1gb pc3200 RAM, 2x 250 Sata Hard drives.

I'm running xp now for a couple of years and do like it and will stay with it, especially after reading about vista DRM ect...

But being honest, I'm dying to check out vista even if it's only for a day, just to check it out.

So what I want to know is...at the minute I have 2 x 250gb sata hd's in my pc and I only installed the second one a few days ago and transfered files onto it. This new hd I installed is (F:) and remaining space on this is around the 50gb mark.

Can I partition (F:) so I could have say (G:) with a 20gb capacity and install vista onto (G:) ?

Also when I'm finished "admiring" vista, can I delete the whole vista system from my hd without interfering with my (F:) or any other part of my xp/hd's?

I have heard of a dual boot system before but I have little knowledge about it and I have important files on my pc and don't want to mess up my pc just to "have a look vista and it's features".

So if you have a dual boot system, is it possibe to wipe one os from the pc, im my case it would be vista?

Thanks
    sandisk

2. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

I did the dual boot option for the same reasons as you, i still have it installed though i'm finished with it, you can format that drive but the dual boot screen will still appear which then you can choose to boot into xp, apparently with the vista disc there is a fix/remove boot screen utility on it, but i lost my disc so haven't tried it yet :(

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

As you said, if you you were to right click on the partition were vista is installed and hit "format", this will wipe vista from the pc right ?

Then when you reboot, you will still have have the option to boot into vista even though it is gone from your system?

I know it's no big deal, but the dual boot screen bugs me :)

I won't have the original vista cd either so the "fix" with the original cd is out the window for me too :)

Any more suggestions on this?

Thanks
    Sandisk

4. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

Yes the dual boot screen will still be there, some people have reported it doesn't work properly either, not allowing them to boot into XP either after formatting their Vista drive...
    I looked into it before a little but i didn't see anyway to get rid of it without either formatting everything or the vista disc...

5. janrocks

janrocks Guest

The format command doesn't wipe everything off the drive, it just deletes the file table meaning the OS can't see the files that are very much still there. I think why the dual boot screen still comes up is there is a pointer to it in the MBR and there is enough of vista left (probably some static addressed file) on the vista partition to cause this continuing annoyance.

Suggestion.. try active@killdisk on the vista partition.. the free one should do.. one pass 00, and then use your xp disk to repair your MBR.
    Logic and some small *nix experience tells me this should get rid of the ghost for good. Try that and post back.

If you need to desperately try the heap of crap called vista then pull your xp drive completely while you do.. then when you finish with vista you can just blank that drive, refit your xp drive and boot into your xp exactly where you left off.. Just like vista never happened.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  6. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

We can all dream... :p

I wish i'd thought of your removing the drive idea before i tried vista out myself, unfortunately i made a partition on the same drive i have XP on :( Might give your idea a go when i get chance!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  7. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the replys.

I don't like the sound of that ofolion as in not being able to get back into xp lol

Hi janrocks, I actually have the "active boot disk" cd which I'd say has the kill disk on it, but i have a couple more questions you might have some suggestions on.

So when I'd want to get rid of vista, I'd format the partition, use killdisk on it but I don't get the "MBR" side of things ?

I didn't even know what it ment until I just googled it lol (master boot record)

Thing is, I didn't get a windows xp cd when I purchased my pc!!

Saying that, I have other xp cd's lying around from my other pc's but they are xp professional and the pc I'm using now is home edition.

What exactlt is the "MBR" and would it definitely be affected?

Is it a must to have a xp home cd?

Thanks
    Sandisk

8. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Yeah just thinking..... I think as janrocks says, take the xp drive out :) Best thing to do, and at least there will be no sleep lost :)

I'll pick up a spare 40gig hd during the week and give it a go.

At least then nothing can go wrong :) or with my luck can it lol

Thanks for the replys and info on this guys.

Sandisk