1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I burn a Blu-Ray to a DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by taylor001, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Why are you recoding it twice for?

Besides, from what I understand AVI2DVD creates a standard DVD, whereas this thread is regarding recompressing a Blu-ray to fit onto a DVD-9 and still keeping 1080p resolution and BD file structure.

If you would like to create 1080p mini Blu-ray discs that fit onto a DVD-9/DVD-5 visit the two links in my signature.

If you would like to create a standard DVD from a Blu-ray disc there are better methods than the steps you listed. I will happily assist if needed, just let me know. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. WEB11

WEB11 Member

Ryu77,*

Yes I want a standard DVD from my blu-ray for the reasons I stated above. I would like to keep the wide screen format if possible. What do you suggest? I would really appreciate your help.

I recoded it twice because AVI2DVD won't recognize my audio track if just merge it with mkvtoolnix.

I sucessfully converted my video to DVD using the steps above but I lost the wide screen format :( . Any idea why?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  3. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Hey WEB11, I'd be glad to help if I knew what I was doing... I'm not too familiar taking 1080p content and converting to DVD. Ryu77 originally replied to your inquiry. Sorry.

4. WEB11

WEB11 Member

Odin24,

Yeah that reply was meant for Ryu77. My bad.

For those out there looking for a smilar solution, I just found a much better way. Just rip the blu-ray with AnyDVD HD and use Nero Vision to convert the M2TS main movie to DVD with a single step. Create DVD> DVD Video. Steps are smilar to this guide.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  5. jaymizzle

jaymizzle Member

ok, i've read the thread a bunch of times and i have a couple questions still. i believe this thread is for posting questions, so here goes.

1. when u demux the desired streams, are u supposed to end up with 2 seperate files? one video, one audio? or are u supposed to just be taking out the other audio streams and keep it as one .m2ts file with the video and audio that u want?

2. step 3 in ryu77's post says remux the video only for compatibility. is this step supposed to take really long? like 25-30 hours in total? (i know it depends on ur computer specs and i g-uess the remuxing profile you have selected) i feel like i could be confused, but it seems like my computer takes about 8 hours to do job 1 in megui which is creating a .avs file.... i dont even know if thats right... and then in takes about 20 hrs to change my demuxed video file into mkv format. the resulting mkv files is about the same size and the demuxed video stream from the original blu ray disk b/c then i have to furthermore re encode the video with audio at a lower bitrate to make the file smaller.

i dont know if i'm making sense. please ask me to clarify if i'm not. in brief summary, i am just looking for a .mkv video file (with video and audio obviously, encoded with .h264 codec) that is much smaller, around 4-8 gigs. and the steps as i understand them are 1. rip video 2. demux selected stream of video and one desired audio 3. create .avs file and then change video to .mkv file 4. re encode new .mkv video file and audio into smaller .mkv file?

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Depends which step 3 you are referring to...

This one... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/646621/4010037

Or this one... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/646621/3916260

??

7. jaymizzle

jaymizzle Member

i was referring to the second links' step 3

8. dalibor18

dalibor18 Guest

Tried to do the latter but VirtualDubMod won't recognise .m2ts file.

You guys seriously need to write down step by step guide how to rip main movie from BluRay and

a) watch it on PowerDVD from HDD
    b) record it on DVD and watch it on BluRay/DVD Player

...as this is disturbingly confusing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  9. philtrid

philtrid Member

Ryu77, thank you kind sir for your wealth of information. I have been trawling the web for ages looking for the knowledge you have imparted in this thread!

Particularly, the info pertaining to DTS standards when authoring blu ray structure (don't crop!) and your meGUI blu ray profile are much appreciated.

If I had an MKV which contained a .264 video track that was 1920x800, what would be the best way to re-encode the track to a 1920x1080 resolution with black bars at the top and bottom?

Thanks again, you're a champ

10. philtrid

philtrid Member

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The easiest method to compress Blu-Ray to a type 5 or 9 is with Ripbot. It provides instructions to other applications such as TSmuxer. The settings are relatively easy in comparison to other methods and the outcome is usually quite good. I've been experimenting with different methods for some time and Ripbot has proven to work every time I've used it.

You can also calculate bitrate manually:

With Ripbot you don't need to calculate for bitrate although it wouldn't hurt since manual settings are usually the best.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  12. sasha717

sasha717 Member

Ryu77, you had said in an earlier reply to WEB11 that "If you would like to create a standard DVD from a Blu-ray disc there are better methods than the steps you listed. I will happily assist if needed, just let me know. :)". I would like to know how to do this. I have AnyDVD HD and can rip Blu-ray discs, but have yet to figure out how to create a standard dvd that I can play in my other laptop that doesn't have a blu-ray disc reader in it. I currently use either DVD Decrypter or DVDFab to rip regular DVDs and Nero Recode to make my backups.

Thanks, sasha717

13. MstrCheif

MstrCheif Guest

Hi first posting, so dont slaughter me on the replies.
    My question is can you use anydvdhd to get the movie on your hdd, then xilisoft hd converter to convert(dl from torrent site?),then imgtoolburn to write?
    I am not trying to be a software pimp, but it seems easier, or is there a way to output a higher resolution picture on a stand alone dvd player?
    if there is a way than please excuse my ignorance, and correct me with guidence.

14. MstrCheif

MstrCheif Guest

Sorry i didnt see the 2nd page of this thread. ignore the posting above.

It is better to say nothing, and have the world think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it.

15. Uroplatuz

Uroplatuz Member

I Followed this tutorial. When i demux my largest .m2ts file i get a .vc1 .ac3 and .sup file. I prefer MeGUI, but how do i convert the .vc1 file into .mkv?

16. ntblood

ntblood Member

Hi. I bought AnyDVD HD and I read in this thread a few times where people say that you can rip a blu-ray disk with it. I don't understand that because the way I understand it AnyDVD HD just removes the copywrite protection so that another program can rip the disk. I don't understand what program to use to rip blu-ray onto my hard drive. blurayberry has disappeared from the internet, Starburn free version they tell me won't, Nero is supposed to be no good. So I'm at a loss.
    Thank you,
    Nathan
    P.S. what I want to do is eventually burn to another blu-ray disk with my new LG drive.

17. ntblood

ntblood Member

<subscribing to thread>

18. ntblood

ntblood Member

the part about ripping with AnyDVD I got an answer to but I'm still figuring the rest out so any advice would be welcomed. Thank you,

---------------
    Right click the anydvd hd tray icon and select rip video to hdd.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ntblood

AnyDVD has its own ripper. Just go to the AnyDVD icon in your tray, right click, and choose "rip video to DVD Hard disk."

20. ntblood

ntblood Member

thank you.