1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i burn data into a dvd-r?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Alexia, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Alexia

Alexia Member

hi, i know i can burn media files into a dvd-r but i dont really know if i can burn softwares, games or just documents into them.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Of course, they're meant to be data discs, just some morons (read: all who have DVD writers ;-) are more interested of burning videos than data.

3. Icequeen1

Icequeen1 Guest

Wait a minute there we are not all morons! I happen to have reason for my back up as many people do. I have problems when we go away on camping excursions I make back ups of my origonals and leave the real McCoy at home. I have had VCRs eat my movies, the kids break them or fight over them and such, I can't afford to by doubles of everything,I would like to learn how to back up my DVDs to prevent the same thing from happening to my DVDs as happened to so of our game disks. I don't know how to back them up either. Can anyone give me a simple explanation how to do this?

4. dRD

Humor is something I try to use, but seem to fail miserabely too often :p

Anyway, we have guides, readily laid-out FAQs, etcetc related to DVD to DVD-R backup'ing in here, just browse around.

5. Icequeen1

Icequeen1 Guest

Thank you, It gets very frustrating how to figure all this out. What do I look under? I don't want to mention anything illegal but I am under the assumpyion that making back ups for your own use is not illegal. Is this correct? Oh and by the way you did not fail ^!!^

6. dRD

Copying your own DVD is legal, but some methods used to do it, are illegal in certain countries -- not for you, but for places -- like ours -- that distribute such tools, like SmartRipper. But that's in the U.S. and we live in Europe, so for us it's not a problem :)

7. Alexia

Alexia Member

thanks drd :)

i have other question (it seems i dont really know about this, its true anyway). As the info i have into the dvd-r is just data and no dvd can it be read it by a cd-r?

8. dRD

Nope, you need to have DVD-ROM to read it as it is really _DVD_ -- DVD is not same as DVD-Video. DVD-Video is specific kind of video stored on DVD disc, while DVD is the disc that can contain data, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, etc..