1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i change the size if an avy so that it woud fit on the tv svreen?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Pride1, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

I'm burning naruto avis on a DVD+R but when i watch them on the tv you could say the image exedes the sreen and the result is that the subtitles can't be seen completely.

Is there any way thet i can edit the avi before i burn it so that this doesn't happen?

2. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

i just talked to a friend about this problem and he told me that every naruto avi that he burned turned out great, so i started asking questions about the equipment he has and i noticed this, he told me he watches the episodes without problem on his tv, his tv is 17".
    The TV on my living room is 27" and the subs are horrible.
    The tv on my room is 20" and i can view the subs better but its still troublesome.
    The TV on my parents room is 19" and the view of the subs is better than my 20" but still troublesome

So can the problem be the TV, if so can anyone tell me how to rectify this, using a program to alter the avys screen size so that i'll be able to view it on my 20" tv without prob? Any other soultions are welcome

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

The problem is that Most CRT TV Sets have a 10% to 20% Overscan area so the Overscan cuts off a certain ammount of Video arround the edges so to Overcome this you have to encode your Files to DVD format with a Border arround the Image (Letterbox) so the Overscan Cuts off the Borders and not the Picture.....

4. Tenno

Tenno Member

I'm having the same promblem as Pride1. I'm using filmmachine to fix the promblem, but it ask me to select the subtile and I can't because it apart of the avi file.and I can't put a border on it or anything without the subtitle being seperate. I really don't no what to do.

5. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

Minion i'm a noob to DVD burning so could you tell me wich programs i can use to do that and how to do it?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well to add a Border arround the Outside of the frame You need to use an encoder that has settings that allow you to add a border arround the frame Like "Tmpgenc".....

If you go into Tmpgenc"s Advanced settings under "Clip Frame" you can add a Border arround the image .....

7. evnflow

evnflow Guest

i'm not quite sure if this will help you but you can try using Super DVD Creator 8.5(it's free) to convert and burn your AVI files to DVD..all in the same step...plus it has a built in tv size adjuster and it can also convert from PAL to NTSC and from NTSC to PAL
    here's a link for it if you want it: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Super_DVD_Creator/1057268626/1
    (just click on the Download Now tab and it will give you the trial version....which is pretty much everything for an indefinite period..)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2006
  8. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

ok now i have TMPGEnc but i have no idea how to use it, isn't there like a guide or something?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It is Quite a Bit More Complicated than some other Encoders and it is also slower but it Produces very good Quality and has a lot more features than other encoders....

For me to tell you how to properly resize your File and put a Border arround the Image I first need to know the Resolution of your AVI file...

Post back with your AVI files resolution and Frame rate and if you are makeing a Pal or NTSC DVD and I will tell you how to set up Tmpgenc to encode your File to Mpeg-2 with a Border arround the Image....

Cheers

10. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

i checked in the avis properties and the frame rate is 23 frames/second, now how do i check for its resolution?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you should be able to Right click the File and go to "Properties" and in the "Summary" tab it should have the "Width" and "Height" Posted...Just tell me what it is and I will tell you all of the settings you have to set to encode this File to Mpeg-2 with a Border arround the Frame....

Cheers

12. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

Width 640 pixels
    Height 480 pixels

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well With this Resolution You are going to end up with more Border at the Sides than at the Bottom so it might look a little Wierd on your TV set but at least you will be able to see the subtitles...

So First run Tmpgenc and if the Wizard Opens then close it and go to the Main tmpgenc screen and click the "Browze" button and Load in your AVI file....

Now click the "Settings" button and under the "Video" tab and the "advanced" Tab set the settings to what they look like here..

[​IMG]

When your Done click "OK" at the Bottom and click "Start" on the Main Screen and wait till it has Finnished encodeing and when it is Done you should have a Mpeg-2 file that you can author to DVD with a DVD authoring program like "tmpgenc DVD Author"....

Cheers

14. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

ok i did my first, worked to perfection, but the others i try to encode come out without audio and are way longer, the normal avis duration is about 23 minutes but when i encode them they come out with 1 hour

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Depending on how you have Tmpgenc set up it will either encode to a Mpg file or to a mpv and a Wav audio file...If you got a Mpg file and it has No audio then it could be because your AVI File has an audio format that is Not supported By Tmpgenc Like VBR MP3 or AC3 in which case if you Run your AVI file through this Tool you can download here then the Files should encode with Audio...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J7HNW11I

This tool will decompress the audio in your AVI file so it is of a format that tmpgenc can encode....

As for the Problem that makes the encoded files Longer than the Source Files You can usually solve this problem one of 2 ways, You can go into the "Advanced" settings and double click the Line were it says "Source Range" and then set the Beginning and end frames that you want to encode and then you shouldn"t get a File Longer than your source AVI file....

The other way that Should fix this problem is to go to "options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "VFAPI Plugins" and Raise the "Direct show File Reader" to "2" and that should Fix the problem....

It actually just adds a Bunch of Blank Video to the end of your File so you can Cut that extra Blank video out if you go to "File" to "Mpeg tools" to "merge & cut" and cut out the Blank video....

Cheers

16. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

alright everything works smoothly now, thanks man i appreciate it alot
    also can i use these settings on any other avy with different Height/Width and frame rate?

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

No , The "Video Arrange Method" setting would need to be set differently based on the Resolution of your AVI File.....

18. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

how do i figure out how much height/weidth/ frame rate to add or remove?
    and the encoded files are alot bigger than the originals, its original size is around 178,000 KB when i decompress the audio it comes out around 460,000 KB and when i encode them to fit in the screen it comes out around 1,000,000 KB
    any way to reduce their size?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  19. Minion

Minion Senior member

Decompressing the audio Increases the Size of the AVI file but it Has Absolutly No effect on How big it will be after encodeing to DVD so there is No reason to make the AVI smaller Unless you are Hard Up For Disk Space which No one should be these days with the Cheap Price of hard Drives and after encodeing the AVI to Mpeg-2/DVD you can delete it so you don"t have to worry about how big it is....

Basicly when useing Tmpgenc you can set the "Video Arrange Method" setting to "Full Screen (Keep Aspect ratio 2)" for most AVI Files and it will resize it properly and add the Correct Borders accept with AVI files that resize to 640x480 and Use Subtitles in which case you would use the settings I told you before.....

Cheers

PS: Encodeing to Standard DVD/Mpeg-2 will generally take up between 35 and 45mb Per minute of Video....If you want the File size to be Smaller you must set the "Bitrate" to a Lower settings but for Standard DVD it should never below 35ookbs of the quality will start getting Bad...Generally between 4000kbs and 6000kbs is the Perfect Bitrate for Standard Resolution DVD"s....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006