1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I connect a Smartphone to a handset phone system using Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by Charles_I, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

I need to move my landline to an Internet based "landline" or a Smartphone because Bell is discontinuing all home wired copper landline service in March in my area. I have searched online and it appears that a phone like this will connect to a Smartphone. But will it do the following:

Will the AT&T Connect To Cell phone ring, display the caller, and answer the call with its answering machine (as advertised) when connected to the Smartphone via Bluetooth?

Will all of these features work with an iPhone or does it have to be Android?

If not, is there an equivalent phone that works with a current iPhone?

I would especially like a handset that will activate the Call Display and the Answering Machine.

Has anyone had experience setting up a system like this? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Charles

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

3. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

No I haven't contacted AT&T, I was hoping someone could recommend a landline phone that works with an iPhone - it doesn't have to be AT&T.

That's a very old list - the problem I'm finding researching this online is that the landline phones are very old. I have an iPhone 13. That PDF only lists up to iPhone 5.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

5. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

That link doesn't work. The suggested way to do this is to get an Internet modem that contains a landline connection. This allows you to use those phones as if they are a landline. But you're just connecting a phone number to the Internet and if the Internet goes down you have no phone. The concept of the landline is now dead.

I was just out looking at one of the AT&T boxes and it shows their "Connect to Cell" trademarked logo on the box but I noticed that it has an arrow from the phone to a cellphone. So I'm now thinking that it might only work in one direction, which is not the direction I want. I'll see if I can contact AT&T and get an answer from them.

When I ask about this in stores (including the Apple store) people all look at me like I'm from Mars. They have no idea what I'm talking about. I find it very strange that they can't understand the concept of a landline phone being multiple phones that ring all at once in different rooms, rather than running to find a cellphone and then trying to stick it to your head or putting in air pods while it's ringing. And there is no flashing light indicating there's a message on the answering machine. And there are two people living here and you cannot connect one phone number to more than one cellphone I have been told.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a friend ran into that problem with the bell fiber optic going down so that she had no phone, internet or tv. I ended up calling bell about her problem who fixed her problem just over 24hrs after it had gone down. I was an outside problem not the modem. that is the main reason I like the keep my phone on cooper wires as my phones are hard wired so even tho there is a power failure, i will still have a working phone.

7. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

Bell is shutting down the copper wire service "in your area" (Toronto, a pretty large city) in March. If you don't do something with your phone number by then you will lose it. There will be no more copper wire service. I wonder if they will take down all of the related overhead wires as well. Probably not. I have everything with Rogers and we all know the nightmare of days without service late last year. At least if I move the phone number to a cell if (when) the Internet goes down for days (or is shut down by a hacker) there are still cell towers out there.

8. ddp

I'm in Innisfil just south of Barrie.
    obviously not everything of yours is on Rogers if you still have a Bell landline.

9. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

I have everything else on Rogers. I only kept the Bell landline all these years because it was an actual landline. I've never had anything else with Bell so at this point it makes no sense to continue having a pretend landline with them.

10. ddp

don't blame you.

11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Charles_l- I just tried that link and it worked.

12. ddp

link works for me too.

13. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

14. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Sorry it didn't work. Try searching on- Verizon Wireless Home Phone

15. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

Looks like Verizon is a U.S. provider and their wireless home phone just connects to the Internet. They have an ongoing monthly charge. I'm in Canada with Rogers so that won't work for me.

16. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I spent the last hour trying to figure out auto and home insurance policy add-ons. When I got done, I thought about the fact I forgot that you're in Canada. I was going to change it but you reponded quickly. How about this-
    https://www.rogers.com/wireless-home-phone

17. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

18. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Of course, if the power goes down, you lose the device and you're using your cell phone.

19. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

Of course, but at least you have a usable phone.

Further researching this I see the above model doesn't get a very good rating for sound quality, which is the most important feature for my usage.
    https://www.techgearlab.com/reviews/electronics/cordless-phone/panasonic-kx-tgf382m

I'm also trying to figure out if it's possible to display Caller Name (name and phone number) on the home phone rather than "Incoming Call", so far I only see Talking Caller ID which is better than nothing.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  20. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Have you made any progress on any of this?