1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I connect a Smartphone to a handset phone system using Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by Charles_I, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Charles_I

Charles_I Member

Here is a summary of my chat with Panasonic on Monday January 30th. I used the KX-TGD592W as an example when I asked my questions.

Can the KX-TGD592W Link2Cell receive calls from a cellular connected iPhone without using a Landline?

Yes, the unit can be used with the Link2Cell feature without having the phone connected to a Landline. You would need to use it on Cellular mode only.

Will it display the text Caller Name and number of the incoming call?

The latest iPhone that we have tested was the iPhone 12 Pro Max however the Caller ID from the iPhone would not be displayed on the Panasonic base unit as well. This would apply to any cellphone in fact. (The iPhone 12 Pro Max came out in October 2020.)

So there is no Panasonic model that would be able to get that information from a cellular connection?

As the Caller ID from the cellphone would be separate from the one of the Panasonic base unit, it would not be possible. The KX-TGD592W for example is Caller ID compatible, however it would show the Caller ID of the callers that would directly contact the base unit, if it would be connected to a landline. If it would not be connected to a landline, it would not show Caller ID at all as it would not receive calls.

Would the cellphone trigger the answering machine on the Panasonic?

The Answering machine would be in the same situation as the Caller ID. It would only indicate messages left through the answering machine system directly, which would need to have the unit connected to a landline. The callers would not be able to leave messages through the cellphone's system and then to be stored on the answering machine system of the Panasonic unit. The Link2Cell feature would allow you to pick the calls up as an extension however the features of the Panasonic unit would not apply to the ones of the cellular phone.

I was wondering if you could bypass the cellular answering system by turning it off but maybe that's not possible.

It would not help in this case.

So finally, the only criteria left is to get the best sound quality model. Do you recommend the KX-TGD592W or is there a better model?

In terms of sound quality there wouldn't be any differences between our models.

I have sent an email with the same questions to VTech (no chat) it says they will respond within 3 business days.

AT&T is too difficult to get questions like this to because it appears all their support is geared towards their provider service - not their products.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Nice discussion with Panasonic. I suspect that most systems would have the same limitations.