1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I connect my laptop to my tv with just AV (Yellow-White-Red) plugs?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Cloud637, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Cloud637

Cloud637 Regular member

I have a laptop and want to watch the videos on my tv. Watching in 20" is better than my 12" laptop. Is there a way to connect my laptop to my tv with just AV (Yellow-White-Red) plugs? It doesn't have S-video or VGA. If so, what do I need and where's the best place to buy what I need? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3. Cloud637

Cloud637 Regular member

I see. Has anyone tried this and see of quality of video and sound pretty good? I hear that VGA gives a better quality than S-Video. But seeing that my 20" only has (yellow-white-read) plugs, I have to go with what I can. What's the difference between 4-pin receptacles and 7-pin receptacle? How do I know which one my laptop has? Thanks for the help.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4-pin is Luminance/Chrominance S-Video (like how a tv aerial picture or composite works), 7-pin is RGB (like how component and digital interfaces work).

5. Cloud637

Cloud637 Regular member

I see. So the how would the video and sound quality be if I use this? Thanks.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, about what you'd expect from a standard def tv really...

7. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

On a 20" Standard Def TV with an S-Video cable? Forget about it, the resolution will be far too low, you probably won't be able to make anything out unless you run at a very low resolution in which case your entire desktop will be extremely squashed.

8. jlburrel

jlburrel Member

I'm having a similar problem. I have a laptop with only vga and my hdtv only supports s-video, composite, component, and hdmi. I received my vga to component cable in the mail today and tried it. I've had no success yet with this cable. What could be the problem?