1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i convert avi to mpg without using TMPGEnc?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by shamone!, Sep 25, 2003.

1. shamone!

shamone! Member

hi,

is it possible to convert avi to mpg without using TMPGEnc?

i have tmpgenc installed but it crashes every time i try to encode to mpg. i've tried uninstalling and then re-installing it but the results are always the same.

is there any other application which will convert avi to mpg so that i can burn it to VCD??

for most movies i use nero for the whole process but it has an annoying habit of making a VCD with an upside down picture!!

so, any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated

i've read a few other postings but haven't been able to find a solution to my anoying problem.

wasting CDs (and thus money) is NO fun at all!!

2. DaveC12

DaveC12 Guest

i use WINmpg. i downloaded it from kazaa...but make sure you get one with a serial number because if you don't it will only let you convert 8 minutes of your movie. i used it and burned my movie to a dvd and it works perfectly.

3. shamone!

shamone! Member

hi,

thanks, i'll give that a go now and will keep you posted as to whether it works for me.

both TMPGEnc and NTI CD-maker keep crashing whenever i try to convert to mpg so this might be my last chance unless i get other suggestions....

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

TMPGEnc isnt the only encoder you know! Theres Cnemacraft too! And for MPEG1 i like the Panasonic Encoder.

5. dubz

dubz Member

there are so many avi to mpg/vcd / svcd whatever converters now its not even funny. i was just doing a search for mpg splitter on the net and found that almost every software company that makes an mpg splitter also makes an avi - mpg / vccd / svcd etc converter. i got this one called mainconcept regged off kazaa is this a good one?

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

DaveC12, banned, should have read the rules, especially the ones with the word piracy!!

and relating to the thread, CCE SP is the best MPEG-2 encoder IMHO, very very fast and produces amazing quality!