1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i copy a .avi file to a dvd-r?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by iantib, Sep 11, 2004.

1. iantib

iantib Member

Hi I have a .avi file tat is 719,944 kb in size. I have just bought a nd-3500 dvd rw (it as oem so doesnt have any manulas or software with it. The dvd-r disks I have are 4.7 gb in size. I use win XP and have pinnacle studio 9. My pc also has nero6 but I have never used it.
    Can I copy the .avi file to a dvd and watch it on a dvd player?
    Do I need to buy some software other than pinnacle? If so can anyone recommend any.
    p.s. If anyone could give me (or point me in the direction) a newbies guide to the steps involved in putting a .avi file onto a dvd.
    Thank you very much.

2. watcher98

watcher98 Guest

well am not a expert but i think u need to convert the avi file to a dvd format maybe the burn it on a dvd so it can play on your dvd player,if it's more maybe a more expert person can come in and finish help u out with it

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Your avi has to be converted to a mpeg 1, or mpeg 2.Then you need dvd authoring software, to convert the mpegs to vobs.Then burn the vobs, with a burning program of your choice(mine is nero)

I havent used pinnacle before but ,i googled it (just now) and from what i see,it has all that you need to do what you want,except burn.
    You should be able to find out what you need know about your software with this link:http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1501&Langue_ID=7
    good luck
    jim

4. Navig8r

Navig8r Regular member

Welcome iantib

First you have to convert your file to either mpeg2 or DVD format (DVD works best) I use WinAvi for this at http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm (its very simple) then you can either just burn it straight like that with Nero 6 or you can run it through DVDLab and create menus and chapters and such....HERE IS THE GUIDE (beginners guide, alot more to the program than this shows, but it will get you started)
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvd-lab.htm
    at least check out the guide to get an idea of what you can do with it, its much better than just burning straight with Nero, it looks alot nicer....your call though...
    hope this help any other questions feel free to ask

Good luck ....
    also this is a double post please watch this ok thanks

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

he/she was asking if pinnacle, the software they already have will do the job and it WILL.There is no need to buy anything else, if you dont want to, except a burning program.Neither winavi or dvdlab are free.
    btw, mpeg1 and mpeg2 are dvd compatible
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  6. taniself

taniself Member

hi navig8r you say u use winavi to convert to avi to dvd i downloaded winavi and it needs realmedia codec 9 or above as your using winavi where did u get that codec

7. iantib

iantib Member

Yes I have that codec thanks very much