1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I copy DVDs that are copyright?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mleahleg, Nov 1, 2004.

1. mleahleg

mleahleg Guest

I have many DVDs that my family likes to watch. I'm now going away for school and would like to take some DVDs with me. My family wants it too so I decided to burn a copy of DVDs. I have a dvd burner and use Nero software, but everytime I try to burn a dvd, I get a message, 'Can't burn copy,DVD is copyright'. What can I do? Will I be able to copy them with DVDxCopy Xpress software?!?
    Please help me, I'm leaving in a week!!
    Thanks

2. vk7

vk7 Member

yes you should be able to make copies with dvd x press. Also, you can download dvd shrink a freeware readily available on the net .Also download dvd decrypter (this removes copy protection ).buy a few dvd +/- R media and make sure they are compatible with your dvd player and you should be ready to go

3. Qupid

Qupid Guest

Do you mean you want backup your own DVD's because copying DVD's that are not yours is illegal piracy. You should only ask how to do it and whatever you do with the backup copies is your business.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@Qupid

It's up to the mods whether a question is okay here and this one is fine :)

@mleahleg

Whatever you do don't get XCopy. The software sucks, can hardly activated anymore and isn't worth the trouble.

Since you already have Nero I'd suggest downloading DVD Shrink and giving that a whirl. It's an outstanding app that will remove the copy protection, compress the film to fit a blank then automatically burn using Nero's burning engine :)

5. mleahleg

mleahleg Guest

Dear Qupid, I'm not doing anything illegal. I never copied anything that's copyright. The only reason I'm doing it now is because I'm leaving to school (over seas) and it'll probably brake there since 6 girls dorm together. The original and the copy will both be used by me.

6. tinkoo81

tinkoo81 Member

Hi there,

Try anydvd by slysoft (http://www.slysoft.com/en/). It removes all kind of encryptions. As a result, you don;t need to decrypt your movies by using DVD Decrypter. They have a 21 free trial, hence, I beleive you will be able to backup your movies during the trial period.
    Also, if your movies size is more than 4.7 gb, you will dvd shrinker (anydvd will remove the protection) to shrink them to right size. Once shrunk you can use any software like nero to make backup copies.

7. Nephilim

DVD Shrink removes the protection as well and it's free :)

8. tinkoo81

tinkoo81 Member

I agree with you, but the newer version that i downloaded do not remove any encryption. I used AnyDVD to remove the encryption and then use DVD Shrink to reduce the size :)

Sam~

9. Nephilim

What version are you referring to? All the versions I've used up to and including the latest, 3.2.0.15, all remove the encryption :)

10. tinkoo81

tinkoo81 Member

It was the version after 3.0 beta. Seems like I must have downloaded the incorrect or incomplete version. I just downloaded the DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 and it is working decrypting everything.

Thanks for the help... My AnyDVD subscription was running out too. Bless you mate... :)

Sam~

11. Nephilim

Happy to be of service :)

3.2.0.15 is so much improved from 3.0 beta.

12. tinkoo81

tinkoo81 Member

Well Nephilim,

I just tried to decrypt my Star Trek Voyager S4D3 with DvD Shrink 3.2.0.15. When I hit backup, I get the following message:

"DVD Shrink Has Encountered a Error
    A Copy Protection Error
    The Request Could not be performed because of an I/O device error"

You see, I was partly right :). I ran AnyDVD and now DVD SHRINK is not giving this error.

May be this is unique to me... I would appreciate your input.

Sam~

13. Qupid

Qupid Guest

@mleahleg

I understand I just heard of some people getting in trouble because of the words they were using. Not that I am trying to get on your case or be mean but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in and help out.

@Nephilim
    I understand you also, I am just trying to learn and at the same time help others though I am not a mod and only a newbie. But one day hopefully I will have all the answers:)

14. mleahleg

mleahleg Guest

Thanks to all of you guys. I downloaded DVD shrink and it worked! I now have a back-up of all my favorite DVDs and I'm now calm about taking them along to school. If one gets ruined, I have a copy.
    Your all great!!

15. Nephilim

@tinkoo81

When you run into that error try playing the disc with a software player for a few seconds then open Shrink again. Shrink does that on occasion :)

@Qupid

Stick around and you'll be giving answers in no time :)

@mleahleg

Glad we could get you off to a good start :)

16. tinkoo81

tinkoo81 Member

Thanks Buddy.... It finally worked :)
    This new version is awesome.... it has many new features unlike 3.0 beta.

Take care

17. Nephilim

Mr. Shrink has certainly done himself proud with this latest version. I think he's a hell of a guy for keeping Shrink freeware :)

18. epsos

epsos Guest

im having problems wit copying dvd using dvd decrypter then dvd2one then nero what am i doing werong it wors on dvd player but destroys the sound it disapears

19. andy248

andy248 Member

i woodnt go 4 any of them i have got clone dvd 2.2 and thats brilliant but u also need anydvd programme that lets u copy any original film u want its great

20. tinkoo81

tinkoo81 Member

Hi There,

For any dvd you have to buy a subscription whereas Dvd Shrink is free. I think you should check DVD Shrink, Nero, and DVD Decrypter guides on this website.

Sam~