1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i install XP on my external Hard dtrive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by *agent47*, Feb 19, 2007.

1. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

can i install windows Xp on my external hard drive and connect it via usb to my computer and boot from it everytime?
    how do i check if bios accepts this? thanks

(i have Dell dimension 4600 - may give clue to what bios)

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

It sounds like it could work. As long as it appears on the boot sequence list it can be done. Otherwise your going to have to have something on either your hard drive (internal), cd drive or floppy drive to tell it to load the external.

3. elokito

elokito Regular member

it can work the only thing u could only use it on ure pc not on other peeps computer y? cause each motherboard has a different driver also y have windows on a external drive when u cant use it on other peeps pc (boot from it) also its gonna b slower in usb than ide/sata

4. bunny_c

bunny_c Guest

yes you can,as long as you've configured your computer to load everything through the usb.
    go into the bios to configure it to work.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Your BIOS will have a list of boot priorites not necessarily in the order below order,if there is no USB then your screwed like me & will need to update the mobo Grrrrr
    floppy
    cd writer
    hdd
    USB

@elokito
    There are a number of reasons why to have an ext usb hdd,security for one,if some tosser steals your comp you still have the hdd stashed away in a safe place,so they end up with a useless pc,the jokes on them...lol..,another reason it'd be a good way to be able to update the imaged drive in case of internal hdd pooing itself without having to dual boot or swap in and out etc etc,etc

as for usb being slow just how much slower would it be,transferring data whether internally or externally never seems to me to be any diff considering i do it regularly (transferring data that is)hahaha

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  6. elokito

elokito Regular member

sata is 3gb usb 2.0 480mb normal sata 1.5gb usb 2.0 480mb so internal hd is faster i guess...

7. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

ya internal is def faster then usb.

8. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

well thanks alot guyz for the replies. i do have a internal hard drive which will use most of the time, its just lots of people in the house use the computer and settings are changed etc so i thought it would be nice to have my own little operating system i can rely on to give me no problems as i'm the only user.
    agen, appreciate ur replies. regards,